When to stop financially supporting adult kids

Options

Comments

• svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    We were invited by the inlaws on holiday this year (all paying for ourselves). I just don't get the appeal - however we had a valid good reason to not. However if we didnt I would have come up with a bs excuse as there is not a chance

My SIL (and BIL) she holidays with her parents (my inlaws) every single year without fail. Even to the extent of taking parents on honeymoon (I wish i was joking). That's an altogether different thread...

To be fair i wouldn't want to holiday with my own kids either :rotfl:
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    It wasn't actually me that takes the children on holiday. _

My mistake, I am easily confused :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Abrahamm
    Options
    Well, I do not know why not to support financially if I can
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Definitely need more information to give a helpful answer.

I give happily whenever I have an opportunity. I think what matters to me is that my DDs are financially independent so I treat them when I can but they never ask. Most recently I gave them some money for Easter. DD1 was going away so I got her some currency and sent the same in pounds to DD2.

I'm able to afford it. It gives me pleasure and it's what my parents did for me.

I think I'd feel different if they were wasting their own money and looking to me to bail them out.

Exactly this. I am happy to give them money towards new baby, car, childcare costs, holiday etc. We can afford it and my mum did the same. Neither of our DDs have ever asked for money but we like to make life a bit more comfortable for them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    Savings accounts for university fees/first car/ flat deposit is fair enough if you choose but a trust fund that produces "Trustafarian" children, not so much.
    I think the IHT threshold should be very much lower than it is at present - to put it up (as the Tories so cynically did) to benefit the children of the wealthy was inexcusable.

So you don't have any moral objections - it's all about the amounts. A car or even a flat deposit is fine, but if it's more than that then it's unacceptable?

Why the difference?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options

For me though, I would differentiate between treats and paying for necessities because the child has been irresponsible. I agree with tabby that if you've brought up your child to be financially responsible it shouldn't happen in the normal course of events.

Obviously I understand that we can't give too much personal information on these threads, but in the case of your friend, why are they paying for essentials for the grown up child? I'd have a very different view if they'd perhaps been made redundant than if they had sufficient income but chose to spend it in the pub.

I'd tend to agree with this view - ie I would be taking into account why the "child" needed support (ie was it need or a want?).

Obviously - all "children" should be treated exactly equally and parents do need to bear in mind that if a couple of adult "children" are being treated exactly equally personally BUT one of the "children" is also getting help for their children and the other one isnt and won't ever be having children = that isn't equal treatment:cool:

If I'd had any (bearing in mind both of them would now be in their 30's) I'd have taken the view of helping as much as possible with costs of "getting established" (eg buying a house in the first place) and making sure they had whatever money they needed to help if they were in process of getting a career (rather than a job).

After that - then I'd be weighing up whether I had money spare to subsidise them any further or whether I needed my money for myself. So it would be very dependant on whether my own income was not enough/enough/money to spare level. The subsidising would only continue if my own income was "money to spare" level and I could see that their income was something like "employer only paying them NMW level".
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    mattpaint wrote: »
    So you don't have any moral objections - it's all about the amounts. A car or even a flat deposit is fine, but if it's more than that then it's unacceptable?

Why the difference?

It's the difference between helping and supporting - not a very difficult concept, I'd have thought.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Obviously - all "children" should be treated exactly equally and parents do need to bear in mind that if a couple of adult "children" are being treated exactly equally personally BUT one of the "children" is also getting help for their children and the other one isnt and won't ever be having children = that isn't equal treatment:cool:
    I agree with this!!;)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh dear. That's a very sad way of thinking.:(

It's great to read posts like yours. I did exactly the same with my DDs and was delighted to give them the opportunity to save their deposits.

I know I'd have felt differently if they were wasting money but they are financially savvy so they didn't.

Sometimes I really feel in the minority here when I post about wanting to help/treat my children. I do appreciate that some posters are desperate for money and rely on Child Benefit for part of the family income but surely not as many as it sometimes seems.

We do it too Maman. We are financially comfortable though so I guess we would not be able to give as much help if we were struggling. We helped both our DDs with house deposits and we helped with wedding costs and have paid for holidays. We also help out with childcare for our DGC both in terms of looking after her and financially helping with nursery costs and occasional clothes for the GC. I would prefer my DDs did not have to worry about money but they cover their basic living costs themselves. One of my DDs used some of the money gifted to do mortgage overpayments and the other used it towards home improvements. It just meant they could do it sooner due to us helping them.

They have both worked from the age of 16 doing caravan cleaning jobs, shop work, waitressing and held jobs while studying at University. They both found full time jobs so they are not lazy and are sensible and careful with money. If I thought they were irresponsible then I would possibly not help as much.

As you say you cannot take it with you so I like treating them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • happyandcontented
    happyandcontented Posts: 2,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 April 2018 at 1:47PM
    Options
    Oh dear. That's a very sad way of thinking.:(

It's great to read posts like yours. I did exactly the same with my DDs and was delighted to give them the opportunity to save their deposits.

I know I'd have felt differently if they were wasting money but they are financially savvy so they didn't.

Sometimes I really feel in the minority here when I post about wanting to help/treat my children. I do appreciate that some posters are desperate for money and rely on Child Benefit for part of the family income but surely not as many as it sometimes seems.

We have supported all our children through University, helped with house deposits, charged peppercorn rents when they lived at home to allow for savings, bought cars, etc, etc. We are fortunate to have been able to do this as we are comfortably off, obviously, had the situation been different then we may not have been able to be as generous.

Now, all but one who is still at University (but working in Industry for a year so actually quite well paid) have their own cars, houses and professional jobs. So we feel that they have benefitted and used wisely the money we 'invested' in their education and overall economic well-being.

Once a year we rent a villa with enough bedrooms for all, somewhere hot and offer them free accommodation, but we do expect them to pay for their own flights and contribute to food costs/meals out. Sometimes they all come, sometimes only one or two, sometimes none of them take up the offer, but when they do we enjoy our time together.

Aside from that, we do not now offer regular support to the eldest ones as they don't need it, want it or expect it.

We will still pay the accom costs for the youngest when he is back at university full time ( currently he pays his own rent/food/phone bills from his income) and also his living costs when he is at home and his mobile phone bill. However, he has saved a considerable amount from his paid year so he will have a decent deposit already should he decide to buy a property once he finishes university.

Of course, we do treat them occasionally and they get a decent sum each at Christmas and Birthdays. We are of the opinion that if you give them the tools to succeed then they should be able to be financially independent and certainly not reliant on parents for daily living expenses unless they fall on hard times through illness, job loss or marital issues.

We do have some friends though who; pay car insurances, fill cars up with petrol every time it is needed, pay for holidays including flights, accommodation and all food, inc meals out, dole out regular monetary handouts and more, for all four of their 'moved out, living independently' adult children. They have also done all that we did re University and paid for lavish weddings, given massive help with house buying costs and continued to buy them all cars even though they are all in high paying jobs. They have also paid off their student loans.

They seem happy to do it, but we think that is taking things a little too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure