Specsavers varifocal lenses

Specsavers (masters of low lead-in prices but much higher actual prices after the sales people have done their work) offer four grades of varifocal lenses as extras over and above the standard lens price:

Standard varifocal lenses - £49
Premium varifocal lenses - £79
Elite varifocal lenses - £119
Tailor-made varifocal lenses - £159

Much like car manufacturers and builders, extras like this are where Specsavers really make their money, but does anyone have any knowledge or personal experience as to how big the differences actually are between these four grades please?

Comments

• Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I don't know the differences, but I have been using the premium ones for a few years, I cycle and do everything normally, they seem to be pretty good to me.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The cheapest option means the varifocal part is noticeable when you look up and down , the premium means it's virtually unnoticeable when you move your eyes ( although I find I have to take varifocal glasses off to reverse my car as it plays havoc with depths and distance)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The cheaper ones are also thicker, so heavier. No ASDA opticians near you? Much cheaper.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Specsavers say this about them, but I've learned to take what they say with a very large pinch of salt over the years:

Specsavers.jpg

Actual experiences of MSE members are somewhat less biased!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The cheaper ones are also thicker, so heavier. No ASDA opticians near you? Much cheaper.

I tried Asda, but for the first time ever the varifocals haven't proved very satisfactory and they only seem to offer the one grade. It's an awful lot cheaper than Specsavers, but the fact that I'm not going back probably says it all. The eye test was good, and comprehensive, but the rest of it wasn't a good experience.
  • I bought a pair of the dearest option after using bifocals for a number of years.

I tried them for a month and really couldn't get on with them, when I went back to specsavers and explained the problems I was having with them they changed the lenses for me and refunded the price difference.

Which I thought was excellent service.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    I have used Varilux lenses for about 10 years now.
    Very expensive but very good.
    You dont get the same problems as with Varifocals
    New pair of lenses this week & new frames cost me £420.00 at an independent.
    https://www.essilor.co.uk/index.php/Products/Varilux
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have used Varilux lenses for about 10 years now.
    Very expensive but very good.
    You dont get the same problems as with Varifocals

:huh: Varilux lenses are varifocals.

I have a pair of safety specs from Specsavers provided by my employer. They were only willing to pay for the cheapest (£49) varifocal option. Compared to my usual specs with high quality free-form varifocal lenses, the field of vision is terrible. To look at anything not directly in front of me and see it in focus, rather than just move my eyes, I have to turn my whole head.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I use Specsavers and I always pay for the tailor made lenses. I don’t have a high prescription but I take the view that my glasses are on my face everyday for at least two years so cost per wearing is reasonable!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I paid for the best one at specsavers. I got 2x varifocals and 1 x readers for £350 with some vouchers for work. Strctly speaking I don't need them only for VDU but specsavers were amenable to taking the vouchers so worth a try.

Unless you are really financially stretched I think eyesight is a bad thing to compromise on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure