The new WAGs - Worried And Guilty

Options

Comments

• OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You must drop the apron strings IMO. If you support your kids financially after college/uni they will struggle to grow up and face financial responsibility. What we said to our son was that there will always be a room for him at home that he can come back to at any time if things don't work out. He has that security of somewhere to live but no way would we provide explicit financial support (in terms of an allowance or similar) once he finished uni. There are plenty of jobs out there for keen, willing young people but they might not be what they want to start with. We were just at the point with our son of saying it was time to start doing bar work/temp work/whatever to get some money coming in but fortunately he found a permanent job which has worked out very well.

He is currently living at home and so we are providing some implicit financial support, because although he pays us money for food and bills we are not making him pay rent (but he is saving quite hard and has a LISA going). He has a good job and will be moving out in about 3 months with some savings behind him and a LISA on the go.

Here's a story. I have just retired (aged 60) and spoke with a colleague a while back who is mid-sixties and facing similar work pressures to me. When I asked if/when he was going to retire, he said he couldn't see it happening soon. He listed the reasons why this was impractical for him, one of which was providing financial support for one of his children (now in their late 30s) that had made some "bad life choices".

I saw him again about six months later when he told me he was now planning to retire. I said why the change of heart. He said he had seen a counsellor that had helped him focus more on what he wanted to get out of his remaining years and that made him change his perspective. Part of that was realising he needed to help his child stand on their own two feet rather than supporting their current lifestyle.

It does look daunting when they first go into the job market (much harder than in my day in the late 70s) but I would still say don't over worry about the kids. However, like others have said, ageing parents with health issues can be more challenging. Best of luck.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Don't they only pay it back when they earn over a certain amount? (I may be wrong about this)
    I've heard Martin Lewis banging on about it on various TV programmes.

That's my understanding too.
    And then it's only 10% of their income above the threshold.
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    The new level 4 and degree apprenticeships are they way to go for many young people. I've been coaching an 18 year-old, who has just managed to get himeself onto a degree apprenticeship with a major employer. It wasn't easy but he's earning and studying. He'll complete his degree in 4.5 years instead of the regular 3, but he'll have no debt & loads of experience
    This is the route that I'm hoping my daughter will take.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chiefie wrote: »
    that amount of student debt at their age

It's not debt. It just means they may be liable for a slightly higher rate of taxation - ie a graduate tax.

If they do well, they will exceed the threshold and have to pay it, out of their higher incomes.
    If they don't do well, they will be paid less, so won't have to pay it.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's not debt.

If it's not a debt it's certainly not a tax, as there's no other tax where you can choose how much to incur, and once you've paid how much you withdrew (plus interest) you never have to pay anymore ever again.

This sounds very much like a debt to me, but I never did semantics at school because of me asthma.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chiefie - Your post resonated with me (although I'm only 47). My two have decided against university and are both undertaking engineering apprenticeships with a very well regarded employer. Have they made the right decision? This remains to be seen. However, I too spend time worrying about how they will move forward and fly the nest. I am struggling to find the balance of how much we provide, versus our own plans, dreams and needs. Both my DH and I have FS pensions, and have always tried to strike a balance between living for today, and saving for tomorrow. The DS's are already in a good enough pension scheme (have you tried discussing the importance of a pension with a 17 year old!), however it's just not as good as ours.

This aside, how on earth do they afford to move out? We live in an expensive part of the country and although there's plenty of room for them here I'm sure at some stage they'll want to move into their own house. Even if my kids do all the right things which they are doing ie the oldest has a LISA, I can't see that they can afford anything halfway decent without help from us. It is a conundrum which probably has a lot of people worrying, and you sound like a caring and considerate parent, and it doesn't matter how old they are. When you have worked out the right answer please feel free to share, in the meantime you are not alone.

Arkers x
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    If it's not a debt it's certainly not a tax, as there's no other tax where you can choose how much to incur, and once you've paid how much you withdrew (plus interest) you never have to pay anymore ever again.

This sounds very much like a debt to me, but I never did semantics at school because of me asthma.

Doesn't Martin suggest that only the very well paid should bother paying it all off? So a 10% of income in excess of £25k (?) sounds more like an "egg heads" to me.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    Let the kids sort themselves out.

starting by taking a degree in something that will lead to work.

I have 3 who have left Uni. All 3 have graduate jobs and the eldet has qualified as a CA. Thee other 2 live at home (paying rent) while they save. Will be gone in a year but in the mean time not really costing me.

So if yours live at home after Uni, charge them something to cover food etc. Once they have any paid work at all.
  • OnTheLadder
    Options
    I have student debt of around 50K (started university in 2012 just as it went to 9K). I earn 30K a year on a Grad scheme and my student loan repayment has just dropped to £28 a month (previously £56 a month) due to now only having to pay 9% back on anything over 25K (i think). So £28 a month when you have 50K student loan is pretty good in my opinion. Also in comparison to what I earn, £28 really makes no difference to me. What I am trying to say is don't worry that they will be laden with loads of debt, student loan repayment is really quite manageable in my experience.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The facts (as opposed to the misunderstandings, panics and general mythology) are set out clearly and accurately on this site, so why not read the reality and then decide how much neurosis, if any, is necessary: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure