The new WAGs - Worried And Guilty

In my pension planning I didn’t expect that i’d Still be worried about supporting the last two kids after UNI but it seems that I am fretting a lot. They are still at uni but I’m worried about their prospects after in terms of income and where they will live. Also feeling guilty about parents (mine have passed) but will we have enough to help MIL through health difficulties. May never retire early at this rate - thought it was our income I’d only ever have to think about.

Comments

• Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I did read an article, somewhere, a long time ago, that the only people who worry about student debt are the parents.
    If theyre studying degrees in proper subjects i.e. not history of Peruvian clock making, they should be fine.

As for MIL hmm! Different story and really not in any place to comment
    Space available for rent
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Let the kids sort themselves out.
  • chiefie
    chiefie Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Peelerfart wrote: »
    I did read an article, somewhere, a long time ago, that the only people who worry about student debt are the parents.
    If theyre studying degrees in proper subjects i.e. not history of Peruvian clock making, they should be fine.

As for MIL hmm! Different story and really not in any place to comment

Their subjects should get them something I’m sure but there is a lot of responsibility on them nowadays and it is harder to get a job with a degree now than when I was 21. One of them I fear has put a lot of faith in the ‘system’ when they don’t realise it’s not joined up.
  • chiefie
    chiefie Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    westv wrote: »
    Let the kids sort themselves out.

I know I know but that’s the worried bit I am going through. The last two are still the babies it is hard seeing them struggle but we can’t just keep stepping in otherwise they won’t learn to fly.

I’m from a poverty stricken background and that amount of student debt at their age would have prevented me from going to uni ~ the psychological barrier would have been too great. I had seen how my parents had lived on credit and it became an endless cycle for them just to keep food on the table.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    chiefie wrote: »
    I know I know but that’s the worried bit I am going through. The last two are still the babies it is hard seeing them struggle but we can’t just keep stepping in otherwise they won’t learn to fly.

I’m from a poverty stricken background and that amount of student debt at their age would have prevented me from going to uni ~ the psychological barrier would have been too great. I had seen how my parents had lived on credit and it became an endless cycle for them just to keep food on the table.

In Scotland, where they give more support, there are a smaller percentage poorer students. So while, logically you are correct in practice you are not.
    The debt repayment is salary linked so most students are unlikely to repay all they have borrowed and Jezza is going to take his magic wand to the borrowing someday soon and it will disappear.
    Our eldest has boomeranged back to us and is using the garages we adapted for my parents so has his own space. It is delightful having him about being more involved in his life than when he was at Uni.
    Changed times from when he would have been buying a flat but not all doom and gloom.
  • Simple_Soul
    Simple_Soul Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2018 at 6:57AM
    I don't have kids, so it's easy for me to say, but I think you've done your bit supporting them through further education. They are now adults and need to learn to stand on their own feet. Your parents struggled, and you probably did too when you were their age. At that age you don't feel it as much as you do when you are older. You are hardier & more resilient. It is part of the fun of being young. Don't rob them of that.

What I say to my own parents (who are in their 90s, & want to give their money away to their kids and grandkids) is that that is what their Wills are for. As long as they are alive, they may need the money for themselves.

At their age they do not want to go on holidays or buy cars for themselves, but they may well need money for house adaptations (stair lifts, walk-in baths etc.), mobility scooters, house repairs & replacements, or moving home to sheltered accommodation.

They already need one hour a day of professional care / home help (which they pay for), but in the future, the amount of help they need will probably increase. And they may eventually need to move to a Care Home.

The more they can fund themselves, the more control they have. If they don't like a particular carer or care home, they can switch instantly, no questions asked. It would not be so easy (more awkward and delicate) if the Council was providing the funding.

Your children are adults; it is now time to look after yourself. Any money you end up not needing for yourself, will go to them anyway, in your Will. And they will likely get it when they are in their 50s or 60s, when they are close to retirement and soon to be unable to earn more money for themselves. Also at an age when they are more responsible, and less likely to blow the cash on expensive holidays, cars, parties, weddings, and divorces.

As for student debt, Martin has said numerous times to not look on it as debt, but as a very safe, and lucrative, investment. They will not have to repay it at all if they are average earners. Even if they are high earners (in which case you should not be worried about them) they will only be subject to a limited level of extra tax (9%?) in order to repay it. And, if it is not repaid after something like 30 years, the debt is cancelled.

I don't know her history, but perhaps if your mother in law had been a bit more selfish with her money, you would not have to worry so much about her now; she would have enough to take care of herself financially.
    Don't do that to your kids.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!

Don't they only pay it back when they earn over a certain amount? (I may be wrong about this)
    I've heard Martin Lewis banging on about it on various TV programmes.

It really depends what help your MIL may need but doesn't she have her own resources?
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I wouldn't feel guilty as others have said, you have given your kids the best possible start in life. Now it's up to them!
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 10:39AM
    Their subjects should get them something I!!!8217;m sure but there is a lot of responsibility on them nowadays and it is harder to get a job with a degree now than when I was 21....
    That's what happens when you change from 10% of students going to university to 50%. Don't forget that it may have been easier for the kids with degrees - but that was only 10% of them (20% by the mid eighties).

The new level 4 and degree apprenticeships are they way to go for many young people. I've been coaching an 18 year-old, who has just managed to get himeself onto a degree apprenticeship with a major employer. It wasn't easy but he's earning and studying. He'll complete his degree in 4.5 years instead of the regular 3, but he'll have no debt & loads of experience
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Peelerfart wrote: »

And if they are studying the history of Peruvian clock making, then they will still be fine as they won't ever have to pay it back. Unless of course they become a renowned expert on Peruvian clock making and earn significantly over the student loan repayment threshold as a result.

It's the taxpayer that needs to worry about student debt.
    Their subjects should get them something I'm sure but there is a lot of responsibility on them nowadays and it is harder to get a job with a degree now than when I was 21....
    It is just as easy to get a job with the sort of degrees that were available when you were 21. When you were 21 you had to be at least one of well-off, well-connected and highly intelligent to get a degree. Highly intelligent and well-connected people still find it easy to get jobs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure