We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    baggins11 wrote: »

How do others go about growing seedlings that are far more delicate than for example a tomato seedling?

I did lots of different varieties but Ridolfia Goldspray is one example.

For tomato seeds, I use a pencil (so does Monty, but I don't know if he licks his). I lick the tip and stick a seed to it and place it in the middle of my pod - this year these are paper in loo rolls - until they have germinated and then I put the paper cone into a pot to grow on. That way each pot has one ready germinated seed and I only touch the paper cone in which it is growing, and not the fragile seedling. If they don't germinate, they just go in the compost (as do the loo rolls which disintegrate after being damp for a couple of weeks)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    Options
    tease them out with a thin knife or one of those scientific paddle type things, then pot on. Idid grow celery and celeriac once, that was fun, not, they were a bit of pain, so I let them grow on a bit before I potted them on, so I wasn't damaging any that were near.
    You could try sowing in drills next time in a tray rather than modules, shake the pack lightly along it, just as you would carrots for example, but obviously not so thickly, it may solve your problem.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks I will try a thin knife and have a go at drills next time. I normally use a pencil which works a treat for anything tomato sized or bigger but it was just to clumsy for these little things.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I use an old glazing knife (Sheffield made of course) which at some point in the past was re-ground to take a better edge

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One thing I try to do is only touch the leaves of the seedlings, not the root
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mnd wrote: »
    One thing I try to do is only touch the leaves of the seedlings, not the root

Yup - I got that wrong back in the early days, it took a couple of years to figure out -but I try to tend to avoid fiddly transplanting if I can now.

On that note I got pumped full of steroids yesterday. I'm going to be a bit jittery for a few days so I might leave the transplanting to the weekend and go dig a pond instead

(or finish the secret escape tunnel to the woods)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    baggins11 wrote: »
    Hi All

Earlier today I tried to pric! (editor doesn't like that word!) out some flower seedlings that I sowed 5 different varieties to a big seed tray. The first problem I had was they germinated at different rates (even though I tried to sow those who germinate at similar speeds) therefore some where rather leggy.

I planted deep to resolve the leggy issue but some of the seedlings were so fine I suspect I might have killed them.

How do others go about growing seedlings that are far more delicate than for example a tomato seedling?

I did lots of different varieties but Ridolfia Goldspray is one example.

I completely misread your post baggins11 - missed "other than" - sorry! I do the same with small seeds, trying to avoid handling them by delaying and planting in situ as much as possible or in compatible containers I can just bury. That is here my little paper cones are good. I have a fair few small plastic pots that have not yet cracked and I might try paper liners to make the transplanting easier.

Out of interest, are you growing Ridolfia Goldspray as an edible or for cut flowers?
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • baggins11
    Options
    No it was a very useful post anyway Suffolk lass as it would be worth me trying that strategy for the delicate seeds.

I am growing Ridolfia for a filler for cut flowers. I expected someone to point out it is a weed! But it reminds me of cow parsley which brings back happy memories from my childhood. At primary school we had an annual competition to find the tallest cow parsley. Little did the teacher know I had fields full of the stuff!!

I bought the seeds on a whim when my local garden centre had all seeds down to 50p at the end of last season.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    It's recommended by Sarah Raven (she of the cut flowers) as a good bouquet choice. We get loads of the white cowslips here - although many treat them as a weed I rather like them and let them sit in our cottage garden.
  • baggins11
    Options
    It's the Sarah Raven ones I have Suffolk lass. I like how she lays out the information on the seed packet - it says clearly on the front if they are good for cut flowers or bees and butterflies etc. I bought loads of her seed packets when they were reduced. Some of them are quite pricey though - I wouldn't have paid £2.55 for the Ridolfia.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure