Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Klouise77
    • By Klouise77 18th May 19, 8:34 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Teacher training alt degree
    • #1
    • 18th May 19, 8:34 AM
    Teacher training alt degree 18th May 19 at 8:34 AM
    Hi all.
    Currently looking at training to be a teacher. I currently work part time after have a baby 14 months ago and I work shifts which I don't want to do ideally when he goes to school. I'm retaking my maths gcse but to start teacher training you either need a degree or equivalent. Does anyone know of equivalent courses to a degree which can be achieved via distance learning and more cost effective. I looked an a open uni degree which I'd love to do however the cost is far too high for me currently. Attending a college is not really an option for me either I work a few days a week only but long shifts and a long commute and then rest days I spend as much time with my toddler as i can. Thanks all
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 18th May 19, 8:40 AM
    • 22,649 Posts
    • 18,636 Thanks
    • #2
    • 18th May 19, 8:40 AM
    • #2
    • 18th May 19, 8:40 AM
    One possible option if you have what it takes to get entry without a degree is to do a DL Masters degree which is likely to take 2 years and may well cost less than an undergraduate degree. I know that the Masters I did once allowed somebody to do it without a degree because they had a lot of experience, but you'd have to be able to make a very convincing case. I also don't know whether that would allow you to then do a PGCE but you could ask.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 18th May 19, 1:40 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    • #3
    • 18th May 19, 1:40 PM
    • #3
    • 18th May 19, 1:40 PM
    in the UK to achieve QTS, you will need a degree.

    The Open University is more likely the most flexible option but there are other universities that offer distance learning degree courses, but you will need to have a look as some of them have limited subject areas they cover.

    You may be entitled to student finance including grants and loans to support you.
    • w06
    • By w06 18th May 19, 3:15 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    • #4
    • 18th May 19, 3:15 PM
    • #4
    • 18th May 19, 3:15 PM
    You'd be best getting a degree, might be worth joining some of the online (facebook etc) discussion groups of teacher trainees. Quite a few folk there having difficulty at the application to PGCE point with equivalences rather than actual (GCSE) pre degree qualifications, and even more so in getting a job after gaining their PGCE and QTS if they don't have the usual GCSE, A levels and degree

    Depending on the subject and level you want to teach you can receive a considerable bursary during teacher training, in addition to student finance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,495Posts Today

5,999Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of?

  • I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice?

  • It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a?

  • Follow Martin