Santander Refer a Friend

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    crumpetman wrote: »
    I'm the switcher (referee not referrer) and I did two switches at the same time and claimed vouchers at the same time. Referrer has received both vouchers for the two switches, I have received one voucher. The referrer email quotes the refer a friend code which has been used, the referee email has only "thanks for switching, here's your amazon voucher"

Perhaps Santander expected people to switch only one account and so would know which account it was without having to provide more details. When you have multiple switches it becomes an issue.

I think I will have to phone them.

We have the same issue with one missing referree code - referree received on 12/4. I phone earlier this week and they have sent it to their techies to investigate/resend. Very pleasant staff.
  • Princess_x
    Princess_x Posts: 2,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry if this is a silly question (I did try searching first):

Does the account being switched need to have the debit card activated first?
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 May 2019 at 10:23AM
    Princess_x wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a silly question (I did try searching first):

Does the account being switched need to have the debit card activated first?

Doesn't need to be activated.

See below for Tesco Bank, HSBC and possibly others.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    The code request page has been removed, a day earlier than expected.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    karlie88 wrote: »
    Doesn't need to be activated.

I know someone who had to restart Tesco switch due to Tesco saying D.C had to be activated, takes no time at all to activate a debit card
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    I know someone who had to restart Tesco switch due to Tesco saying D.C had to be activated, takes no time at all to activate a debit card

Most debit cards are already activated (Tesco and HSBC are notable exceptions). But if they are not activated, they need to be otherwise the switch will be rejected.

If you say you haven't got a debit card on the switch application and the debit card isn't activated the switch will be rejected as the card must be completely cancelled for this to work.
  • bristolleedsfan
    @ Ed-1, Ironically a just been opened Coop Bank account, debit card took so long coming didnt think was being issued as already had long standing account, I phoned to switch it into Santander said no debit card issued, debit card rolled in hour later switch still went through.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    @ Ed-1, Ironically a just been opened Coop Bank account, debit card took so long coming didnt think was being issued as already had long standing account, I phoned to switch it into Santander said no debit card issued, debit card rolled in hour later switch still went through.

I've noticed some switches of accounts that have been opened within a few days of the switch request go through with no debit card declared on the switch too. There may be a 'grace period'.
  • bristolleedsfan
    I switched two Halifax accounts out to Santander, debit cards were expiring end of May 2019, hour after the call new cards came in through letter box, switches went through fine.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just as a side note...Santander didn't take our £1 account fee (123 Lite) this month, but DID pay us our cashback. Is this because the account has been in "switcher" mode do you think? Anyone else noticed this?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure