Lap top for secondary school use

Comments

• basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    johannis wrote: »
    good point about the battery though, thanks
    (he said as he unplugged his!)

I've knackered my work Dell Laptop battery like that and just ordered a replacement. While looking at the battery section in the BIOS I found a setting that optimises the PC for plugged in or mobile use.

B
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    basill wrote: »
    While looking at the battery section in the BIOS I found a setting that optimises the PC for plugged in or mobile use.

Dimmer screen, no overclocking of the cpu (perhaps limit it to less cores too?), and make sure the fans come on less. On the old rust spinning disk, they also had 3 options, performance, normal and silent, think you could set this on the disk or on the bios of some models.
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 November 2019 at 12:33AM
    that wrote: »
    Dimmer screen, no overclocking of the cpu (perhaps limit it to less cores too?), and make sure the fans come on less. On the old rust spinning disk, they also had 3 options, performance, normal and silent, think you could set this on the disk or on the bios of some models.

I don`t think these settings have any effect on performance its more for battery longevity, you can also choose to enable Expresscharge for faster charging (shorter lifespan), adaptive or select custom % to start and stop charging. I think the AC mode stops charge before 100% and runs the laptop using the power supply rather than cycling the battery.
    Anyway I`ve gone for AC this time and hope for the best :-)
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    that wrote: »
    You seem to know a lot about this, even though you can't tell us why it is.

For £2.98, or even £3.00 I would try it. If it gives 1 month of life, it is still more cost efficient than £60 a year.

Here is on form Amazon, also with a Lifetime Licence for £39.99
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MicrosoftTM-Professional-Multilingual-Windows-License/dp/B07VR5GFZ1

Or the one user cd version for £29.99
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MICROSOFT-OFFICE-PROFESSIONAL-Digital-License/dp/B07JGLX5QL

Could they all be scams, and lying?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained :)
    Since you asked I'm Microsoft silver partner and have been working in IT, predominantly with MS products for the past 20 years. So I know a thing or two about it.

The 2 links you provided are for Office 2019, which is the "old style" buy once own forever type of software. It is not Office 365, which is a subscription style license, bundled with e-mail and cloud storage and offering automatic free upgrades to the newer versions of Office in the future as long as you keep paying for the subscription.

You are correct that these licenses are probably better suited for OPs case.

You are wrong if you think that the O365 sold on e-bay with a promise of a one-off payment and no reoccurring costs are anything but a scam. It's your own money, feel free to burn some to find out.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    sal_III wrote: »
    Since you asked I'm Microsoft silver partner and have been working in IT, predominantly with MS products for the past 20 years. So I know a thing or two about it.

The 2 links you provided are for Office 2019, which is the "old style" buy once own forever type of software. It is not Office 365, which is a subscription style license, bundled with e-mail and cloud storage and offering automatic free upgrades to the newer versions of Office in the future as long as you keep paying for the subscription.

You are correct that these licenses are probably better suited for OPs case.

You are wrong if you think that the O365 sold on e-bay with a promise of a one-off payment and no reoccurring costs are anything but a scam. It's your own money, feel free to burn some to find out.

You are repeating it, but still don't really know.
    I do, because I investigated it, rather than than posting conjecture as fact.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is rating very well on HUKD.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-330s-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-14-inch-full-hd-ips-screen-laptop-3328017

SSD is a little smaller than you'd ideally want but thats not insurmountable down the line
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    EveryWhere wrote: »

AFAIK there is no such thing as a perpetual office 365 license by definition.
    The two terms are mutually exclusive ..

You can still get of course a 'boxed copy' of 2019, which for all intents and purposes is everything that 365 offers, just without all the cloudy stuff and continuous updates.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    This is rating very well on HUKD.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-330s-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-14-inch-full-hd-ips-screen-laptop-3328017

SSD is a little smaller than you'd ideally want but thats not insurmountable down the line

Seems some are using this; https://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/50-off-100-3327249 to reduce the price to £280.

It's much the same laptop as is in post #3. Though with 8GB of RAM and new. £280 for new isn't bad.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 November 2019 at 2:42PM
    Seems some are using this; https://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/50-off-100-3327249 to reduce the price to £280.

It's much the same laptop as is in post #3. Though with 8GB of RAM and new. £280 for new isn't bad.

Indeed yes - i forgot about that. £50 off for a new customer.

The 8GB RAM helps it, though clearly the one in post #3 could have the RAM upgraded.

I think thats a cracking machine for that sort of money.

The oldest of the three laptops i have is an i5 320 that i've upgraded to 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD. Tempted to go for this new 330S to replace it. Though the 320 is giving no trouble and fit for its intended purpose. Better screen on the 330S though.
    Decisions....
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm repeating it because it's a fact. Based on Microsoft licensing practices/policy, there is no perpetual license for Office 365, its a subscription service.

Sure my claim that the ebay offers in question are scams is conjecture. Based on the above fact, the fact that all sellers are new with little/no feedback and the simple principle of "if it's too good to be true, its' probably isn't". As i'm not going to waste money proving it's also a fact.

You are still refusing to post facts of your "investigation" that would prove that there is such a thing as a perpetual O365 license, as "you don't wish to add fuel to the fire.", yet you keep commenting and trowing unsubstantiated claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure