At what age can a child stay home all day while parent is at work?

I do not think that there is a definite law for this. However, it appears that a child over 12 is said to be ok by themselves for a few hours. Would you say a responsible 12 year who is 13 next April would be ok to be left all day while his parent was at work?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I expect you'll find responses will be as diametrically opposed as discussing Brexit....:)

For what it is worth, I think it's OK if said child is responsible and isn't being left alone all day on a frequent basis and a responsible adult is checking up (even by phone) at intervals during the day AND child has an emergency adult they can go to if there is a problem.... but it really is very much dependent on the child and the circumstances.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think it depends very much on the child, the home environment, what support network is available nearby, how far away the parent works and how quickly and easily they could get home if there was a problem.

Setting a particular age is not really answer and quite sensibly (for once!) the law doesn't. A child that is not ready for this challenge one day doesn't magically become ready the next day just because it is their birthday.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    At the risk of sounding sexist (and yes, I know there are exceptions to every rule!), 12 year old girls are usually more sensible than 12 year old boys.
  • Ours was 14 I think. And I disagree about girls and boys.

A 12 year old boy will most probably spend the day glued to a tv screen or pc monitor playing games and is less likely to get up to mischief.
    This changes as they get older tho
  • bflare
    bflare Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ours was 14 I think. And I disagree about girls and boys.

A 12 year old boy will most probably spend the day glued to a tv screen or pc monitor playing games and is less likely to get up to mischief.
    This changes as they get older tho

He already makes his way from school to my house on an evening. I moved near his school so it's literally 0.2 miles away from my house. he is in by himself from around 3:20pm to 6pm & he is fine. As you say when I get home he is on his PS4 or watching TV.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Like peeps say, depends on the child. They should be at school all day unless the hols or ill. If ill do not leave alone. If hols, consider how boring it would be at home all day every day.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • bflare
    Like peeps say, depends on the child. They should be at school all day unless the hols or ill. If ill do not leave alone. If hols, consider how boring it would be at home all day every day.

It is mainly the school holidays. I am going through a difficult time with his mother. Normally he stays with his mum through the holidays & I pick him up from her house after work. He stays at mine 5 nights per week but it looks like I may have to go for full custody or increase the time at mine to 6 nights per week very soon.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    As others have said, it depends on the child, their level of confidence about being in control of the domestic situation and whether there is a responsible person nearby who they know they can contact in an emergency.

I think parents who bring their children up sensibly and educate them to recognise and u derstand risks are probably doing their children a favour allowing them a little early independence.

I think in recent years the Health & Safety people have become too dominant. Children of 12 were working and once sent up chimneys in days gone by. I'd hate those days to return but giving a child some education and independence at an early age will probably make them a more confident person later in life.

Talk to yiur child. See how comfortable he feels about this and talk through any potential nervous issues he might have. Treat him maturely and he will,probably be fine.
  • bflare
    Primrose wrote: »
    As others have said, it depends on the child, their level of confidence about being in control of the domestic situation and whether there is a responsible person nearby who they know they can contact in an emergency.

I think parents who bring their children up sensibly and educate them to recognise and u derstand risks are probably doing their children a favour allowing them a little early independence.

I think in recent years the Health & Safety have become too dominant. Children of 12 were working and once sent up chimneys in days gone by. I'd hate those days to return but giving a child some education and independence at an early age will probably make them a more co fine t person late.

Talk to yiur child. See how comfortable he feels abiut this and talk theiugh any potential nervous issues he might have. Treat him maturely and he will,probably be fine.

I agree with you. Since he has been given more independence making his own way from school & letting himself in he has really grown up the last few months.

We have spoken briefly about it & he sounds confident just a little apprehensive. It may not come to it yet I am just looking at the feasibility if it does. I shall have another more in depth chat with him this evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure