Barclays seen it’s a**e with Post Office cash withdrawals

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There's an MSE article about it here.

For some reason—presumably someone forgot—the article doesn't link to an official forum thread.
    The Post Office allows customers of 28 banks to withdraw cash, pay cash in, check their balance, and deposit cheques.

But from 8 January, Barclays customers will only be able to deposit cash and cheques, and check their balances at the Post Office - they won't be able to withdraw cash.

[...]

A Barclays spokesperson said that it wanted to reduce its customers' reliance on the Post Office, while investing more in free-to-use cash machines and cashback services at local businesses.

I guess Post Office counter withdrawals are more expensive for banks than withdrawals from ATMs.

It was a different story a few years ago when Barclays were shutting up shop left, right and centre. At the time a Barclays spokesperson said:
    "To access a full counter service, our customers can use our branch at Fletchampstead Highway (2.3 miles away) and everyday transaction, typically carried out over branch counters (including paying in a cheque or depositing cash), can also be completed at the Post Office at Costcutters on the University Campus which is open 6 days a week."

Lots of other banks to choose from. But let's hope this doesn't become a trend.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    According to the article, "See your !!!!" means "Be annoyed". Apparently it's from Manchester - though I've family from Manchester and I've *never* heard that expression before.

However, if we we accept the meaning from The Mirror (because The Mirror has never been known to publish falsehoods) it still doesn't make sense in the given context.

Barclays have, seemingly, withdrawn counter services from post office branches - why does that make them annoyed?
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ergates wrote: »
    According to the article, "See your !!!!" means "Be annoyed". Apparently it's from Manchester - though I've family from Manchester and I've *never* heard that expression before.

However, if we we accept the meaning from The Mirror (because The Mirror has never been known to publish falsehoods) it still doesn't make sense in the given context.

Barclays have, seemingly, withdrawn counter services from post office branches - why does that make them annoyed?

I'm, roughly, from around there and have never heard it before either.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    I hear the phrase quite often and take it to mean that "one is not happy"
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Barclays isn't annoyed by the change, they're quite happy about it.

So, logically, it will be any unhappy customers who see their rear end, not Barclays.
  • Op nothing wrong with your English. Its not the queens granted but any natural Brit will understand. Same few faces looking to derail threads rather thwn be helpful. They have nothing better to do than pick holes in posts
  • Davy_Jones_II
    Davy_Jones_II Posts: 491 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2019 at 9:09AM
    Op nothing wrong with your English. Its not the queens granted but any natural Brit will understand. Same few faces looking to derail threads rather thwn be helpful. They have nothing better to do than pick holes in posts

What a bizarre post. I’m a natural-born Briton, yet have never heard the phrase he used before, and as above, now that we know what it means, it still makes no sense at all.

To be frank, though, someone with English such as you’ve written there is not in a great place to judge the quality of others’.

Asking what someone means in order to try to give advice is not derailing a thread.

I can see that you’ve just signed up, and that many of your posts are insulting people rather than adding anything to a thread (this one included.) You OK hun?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2019 at 9:19AM
    Op nothing wrong with your English. Its not the queens granted but any natural Brit will understand.

That's clearly not true.

It makes as much sense as a weasel fishing for a chip in a Spaniard's bucket, as we say in Britain.
  • Op nothing wrong with your English. Its not the queens granted but any natural Brit will understand. Same few faces looking to derail threads rather thwn be helpful. They have nothing better to do than pick holes in posts

It’s*
    Queen’s*
    Than*
  • Post title makes no sense at all.

As for referring to a post in The Mirror (of all places!!) from 2014 is just bizarre.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure