Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aarnav
    • By Aarnav 10th Nov 19, 2:43 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aarnav
    UK Benefits: What benefits I can apply for my mother?
    • 10th Nov 19, 2:43 PM
    UK Benefits: What benefits I can apply for my mother? 10th Nov 19 at 2:43 PM
    Hi folks,

It's now nearly a year since I got my mother to live with me in the UK after Dad passed away last year. I want to know what benefits I can apply for her?

Information:
    Mothers age: 65
    Nationality: Indian

I am an EU national and living with my partner and mother in a one bed flat which is owned by me. I have the permanent resident permit to stay in the UK and based on it my mother got her's 5years stay in the UK.

Any help/advise as what I can claim for her would be helpful.

thank you in advance
    Aarnav
Page 2
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 11th Nov 19, 11:35 AM
    • 7,184 Posts
    • 5,665 Thanks
    ohreally
    I don't see how the OP could have worded it differently other than "Can my mother get benefits?" or "Is my mother entitled to any .
    Originally posted by Purbeck
    Two points.

What would a reasonable person draw from the question put by the op?

Secondly I didn't direct a comment to the op therefore I'm unclear what your on about re the op's post and my response to another individual.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
  • archived user
    Two points.

Secondly I didn't direct a comment to the op therefore I'm unclear what your *on about re the op's post and my response to another individual.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    I don't know what a "reasonable" person would draw from the question put by the OP . I only know what I would draw from the question, which is that he is asking what if any benefits his mother 'might' get :-)

And as to yours and other responses on this thread, I quote the sticky at the top of the page

"Sticky: Its about helping people get their entitlement! Not about benefits policy!".

If there is no "entitlement" then so be it. That is all the OP wants to know surely.
    Last edited by Purbeck; 11-11-2019 at 1:53 PM. Reason: typo
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 11th Nov 19, 12:46 PM
    • 7,184 Posts
    • 5,665 Thanks
    ohreally
    I thought the point of this board was to answer questions helpfully if possible? Wasn't that what this whole site was SUPPOSED to be about!

Out of here. I can find racists and the terminally lacking in compassion elsewhere only too easily!.
    I'm going to leave it as I'm not arguing the toss with you, but racist, get a grip.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
  • archived user
    I'm going to leave it as I'm not arguing the toss with you, but racist, get a grip.
    I wasn't referring to you there, but to the removed posts of another poster that preceeded your reply and were reported by others and myself, ( on this and other threads).

The sticky still stands though,""Its about helping people get their entitlement! Not about benefits policy!".

I'm not arguing the toss either. I'm quoting the T & Cs.
    Last edited by Purbeck; 11-11-2019 at 1:56 PM. Reason: add
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 11th Nov 19, 3:00 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Socajam
    Where does it say anyone thinks the tax payer should support the mother?
    The Op only asked for information and did not state any expectation or entitlement.

The purpose of these forums are for people to get information.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Just case you missed it: the OP said

I want to know what benefits I can apply for her?

How can see apply for benefits for her mother when said mother have never contributed to the British economy.
    Please tell me what taxes and NI etc this lady have paid into the British system.
    The OP may be paying taxes etc, but that her for the OP when she reached reached retirement age, not to be given to her mother now.
    There are people in the UK who have paid contributions all their lives, are you saying their contributions should be given to the OP's mother?
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 11th Nov 19, 3:04 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Socajam
    I don't know what a "reasonable" person would draw from the question put by the OP . I only know what I would draw from the question, which is that he is asking what if any benefits his mother 'might' get :-)

And as to yours and other responses on this thread, I quote the sticky at the top of the page

"Sticky: Its about helping people get their entitlement! Not about benefits policy!".

If there is no "entitlement" then so be it. That is all the OP wants to know surely.
    The OP is not an idiot, she fully knows that her mother is not entitled to anything.
    How about we all go over to India and ask if we are entitled to any benefits etc, whilst knowing full well that we have never contributed to their tax system or NI contributions - how far do you think we will get?
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 11th Nov 19, 3:09 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Socajam
    The title of the thread may suggest there is an element of benefit expectation.

"UK Benefits: What benefits I can apply for my mother?"
    Anyone with an ounce of brain fully knows that you have not contributed to the UK system, you are not entitled to anything.
    Being an EU national does not mean that the mother is entitled to UK benefits.
    If this is the case, then we should bring everyone who have elderly parents over and give them the contributions made by all UK nationals - past and present.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 11th Nov 19, 3:28 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    sportsarb
    Income related benefits can be claimed by anyone legally in the country and will be subject to the habitual residence test. HRT usually requires the person to be resident in the country and not subject to immigration controls. This means that you can never have contributed to the system but receive benefit.

Contributory benefits on the other hand do require you to have paid in to the system.
    • Nullboris
    • By Nullboris 11th Nov 19, 3:28 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Nullboris
    This is about the legality not the Morality .
    I suspect the mother willl NOT be entitled to anything for at least the first five years, and thereafter must re-apply for visa/residence with conditions.
    • WhenIam64
    • By WhenIam64 11th Nov 19, 4:31 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    WhenIam64
    This is about the legality not the Morality.
    It's simply about the legality. Morality is only ever applied in areas to do with offence to public decency.

If @Socajam or anyone else wants to change the world, then they have until 14th to get some money together and a few signatures and stand as an MP. If successful, they would then try to get on a Select Committee or bring forward a Private Members Bill to have their views enacted into law. Assuming that they get support in the House.

Otherwise, be happy that we live in a country where the Rule of Law still stands and people get no more than their entitlement. And even then that entitlement is not very much.

@Aarnav has not come back with the reply to what it says on the visa/residence card so it may be we have answered the question on entitlement.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Nov 19, 5:55 PM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 2,571 Thanks
    calcotti
    Income related benefits can be claimed by anyone legally in the country and will be subject to the habitual residence test.
    Originally posted by sportsarb
    Someone in this country on a visa is legally in the country but if the visa says No Recourse To Public Funds then they cannot claim income related benefits (or indeed some other non means tested benefits). Whether atet applies to OP or not I have no idea as they have not posted back with any more information about immigration status of mother.
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 11th Nov 19, 6:31 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    Two points.

Secondly I didn't direct a comment to the op therefore I'm unclear what your on about re the op's post and my response to another individual.
    Iím very reasonable, so, since you asked...

I read it as the OP feeling that it is acceptable to bring in a relative whoís never contributed to the UK and apply for benefits for them.

If he was not thinking of applying then itís a very strange question to ask, and if he is thinking of applying then itís normal that some people will point out that itís morally questionable to do this.

Without more answers from the OP, itís not clear that his mother will be entitled to anything, but I will be very disappointed if she is, thatís not what the UKís benefit system is for.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 11th Nov 19, 6:33 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    sportsarb
    Someone in this country on a visa is legally in the country but if the visa says No Recourse To Public Funds then they cannot claim income related benefits (or indeed some other non means tested benefits). Whether atet applies to OP or not I have no idea as they have not posted back with any more information about immigration status of mother.
    Originally posted by calcotti
    Yeah, the recourse to public funds is a question on the HRT, it would be discovered as part of the normal process.

I would classify 'No recourse to public funds' as being an immigration control as it is part of the immigration process.

Also, anyone can claim, whether an award is made or not is another thing. I received and processed many many claims over the years where the person wasn't entitled due to HRT but they were absolutely entitled to apply and force us to make that decision.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Nov 19, 7:02 PM
    • 7,212 Posts
    • 7,829 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Well it didn't take long before somebody tried it on with the racism card, did it? I can just as quickly find a nimby.
    Originally posted by poppellerant

The person who is being referred to as racist has, I believe, had their posts removed. When they state that only immigrants get all their rent paid I don't see what other label is more appropriate.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Nov 19, 7:03 PM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 2,571 Thanks
    calcotti
    xAlso, anyone can claim, whether an award is made or not is another thing. .
    Originally posted by sportsarb
    Distinction noted.
    • Whiteknight
    • By Whiteknight 12th Nov 19, 11:36 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Whiteknight
    She can claim Pension Credit if she has reached the qualifying age, they will complete the HRT and as she is in the United Kingdom due to being a family member of an EU national they will require evidence of the family link to you and proof of your nationality and your earnings.

You have not mentioned if she already has a national insurance number, but she needs to contact the Pension Service on 0800 991234 to make a claim.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 14th Nov 19, 5:32 PM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 3,691 Thanks
    parkrunner
    So let me get this right.
    Your mother came to live with you in the UK because of your father's death at age 65.
    She has never made any contributions whatsoever to the UK and now all those who have paid should support your mother.
    Yes, you are paying taxes, but those are for your old age.
    This is why people are !!!!ed off with the system because of this situation.
    Yes, I can be sympathetic, but not that sympathetic that someone who have not paid one penny in UK contributions should be given other people's tax money.
    It's your responsibility to look after your mother, not the British taxpayers.
    Originally posted by Socajam
    This particular forum is for giving advice regarding benefits. For talking about the rights or wrongs of the benefits system go to the discussion forum here,

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57
    It's nothing , not nothink.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 14th Nov 19, 6:03 PM
    • 13,392 Posts
    • 9,222 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    How about we all go over to India and ask if we are entitled to any benefits etc, whilst knowing full well that we have never contributed to their tax system or NI contributions - how far do you think we will get?
    Originally posted by Socajam

Just for the record, you and I would receive precisely the same benefits there as would an Indian in this situation.
    • OhWow
    • By OhWow 14th Nov 19, 9:28 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    OhWow
    Information:
    Mothers age: 65
    Nationality: Indian

I am an EU national...I have the permanent resident permit to stay in the UK and based on it my mother got her's 5years stay in the UK.
    Originally posted by Aarnav

I think you will find it was nothing to do with you having the EU's PR in the UK. Rather that as a non-EEA citizen, she needed to prove that she is financially dependent on you, for her to have an EU 5 year RC. The EU's RCs are always for 5 years but they can become invaild for a few reasons.

Her EU 5 year RC continues to be valid while she remains financially dependent on you and while you are residing in the UK. How will she continue to be financially depenedent on you if she is asking the UK's welfare state to provide for her?
    Last edited by OhWow; Yesterday at 9:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,683Posts Today

7,384Users online

Martin's Twitter