Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • longforgotten
    • By longforgotten 10th Nov 19, 9:33 PM
    • 1,072Posts
    • 705Thanks
    longforgotten
    What can I grow in a used growbag now
    • 10th Nov 19, 9:33 PM
    What can I grow in a used growbag now 10th Nov 19 at 9:33 PM
    I grew tomatoes for the first time this year. I planted three in a deep growbag outside and it was very successful.

I intended to put the used compost on the garden as a mulch but are there any vegetables I could grow in it over winter please
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Nov 19, 9:55 AM
    • 29,787 Posts
    • 102,854 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Nov 19, 9:55 AM
    • 12th Nov 19, 9:55 AM
    Not really. You might get a crop of something like chard if you have a really sheltered sunny place and live in a warm part of the country, but starting anything from seed now, even in that situation, will be a lottery.

Under glass or polythene more is possible, but seed sowing needs to happen in September or early October.
    Things are more like they are right now than they've ever been.

• Datchet
    • By Datchet 14th Nov 19, 7:12 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Datchet
    • 14th Nov 19, 7:12 AM
    • 14th Nov 19, 7:12 AM
    You can re-use, just not with same crop. Try mixed lettuce for young leaves, in greenhouse or use dried peas ( supermarket bag for 50p! ) and grow pea-tops! They are great for winter salads.
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Nov 19, 8:24 AM
    • 29,787 Posts
    • 102,854 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 14th Nov 19, 8:24 AM
    • 14th Nov 19, 8:24 AM
    YTry mixed lettuce for young leaves, in greenhouse
    Originally posted by Datchet
    If the OP had a greenhouse, they'd surely not have had the tomatoes outdoors.

I agree that just a bit of polythene, as in a polytunnel, makes winter growing of salading viable in many locations. I'm still hoping for a few more mangetouts, but the way things are, it might well be just the tops!
    Things are more like they are right now than they've ever been.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,839Posts Today

7,177Users online

Martin's Twitter