Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 9th Nov 19, 3:07 PM
    • 4,615Posts
    • 2,892Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Disk to Disk Copy Different Sized Disks
    • 9th Nov 19, 3:07 PM
    Disk to Disk Copy Different Sized Disks 9th Nov 19 at 3:07 PM
    Hi

Looking for some techie help (unsurprisingly...)

Looking to replace a HDD on a laptop and was hoping to use my HDD docking station to do a disk-2-disk copy. My problem is that the laptop has a 1.5TB disk and they are rare(ish) so, was wondering if I can do a copy of 1.5TB to a 1TB? Or is this simply not possible due to sectors etc?

I suppose my fall back position would be to purchase a 2TB and let the copy structure it as 1.5TB drive.

Was looking for the cheapest option just to keep the laptop (old HDD) ticking over for a little while longer.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Page 2
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 10th Nov 19, 4:40 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,094 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    On USB 3, a full Windows 10 home installation, with a handful of typical home/office programs (Libre Office, Firefox, etc), the transfer using Acronis takes around 12 to 15 mins or perhaps 30 if there are a lot of files, nowhere near “hours”.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 10th Nov 19, 8:10 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    On USB 3, a full Windows 10 home installation, with a handful of typical home/office programs (Libre Office, Firefox, etc), the transfer using Acronis takes around 12 to 15 mins or perhaps 30 if there are a lot of files, nowhere near “hours”.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

You can't assume typical. Last time I did this I was copying something like 500GB data on a 1TB disk. I suspect the old USB caddy I was using is probably only USB2. It really did take hours, about 5 hours IIRC, and ended with an error, so all that time was wasted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,923Posts Today

7,318Users online

Martin's Twitter