Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ellie78
    • By Ellie78 10th Nov 19, 12:20 AM
    • 64Posts
    • 58Thanks
    Ellie78
    Fund dealing/trading costs explanation needed
    • 10th Nov 19, 12:20 AM
    Fund dealing/trading costs explanation needed 10th Nov 19 at 12:20 AM
    If I pick a platform where dealing/trading charges are taken how does that work?

Say I have a pension/S&S ISA with one multi asset fund in it. Is adding monthly payments into that fund classed as dealing/trading? Or would I only have to pay those charges if I say added another fund?

Just trying to weigh up monthly/yearly costs of different platforms/funds and I can't seem to find a straightforward explanation!
    Mortgage - 49,127.98 / 44,227.98 / 39,000 / 36,000 / 33,270 remaining
    2019 OPs - 15,620.23
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 10th Nov 19, 3:04 AM
    • 11,384 Posts
    • 11,811 Thanks
    Linton
    • 10th Nov 19, 3:04 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 3:04 AM
    Any purchase or sale is a transaction with possible charges. Whether the fund is a new one for you or not makes no difference.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 10th Nov 19, 8:04 AM
    • 16,244 Posts
    • 19,480 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 10th Nov 19, 8:04 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 8:04 AM
    If I pick a platform where dealing/trading charges are taken how does that work?

Say I have a pension/S&S ISA with one multi asset fund in it. Is adding monthly payments into that fund classed as dealing/trading?
    Yes. You are buying additional units. It might also apply if you are buying extra from dividends. Sometimes (often?) there is a reduced charge for that. EDIT; And as Albermarle says there may be dealing charges for one type of investment and not another. Funds vs shares/ ITs for example are often treated differently.
    Or would I only have to pay those charges if I say added another fund?
    No distinction whether its new or existing.
    Just trying to weigh up monthly/yearly costs of different platforms/funds and I can't seem to find a straightforward explanation!
    Originally posted by Ellie78
    Note that there is often a charge for holding as well as dealing, indeed holding charges will often be higher than dealing.and charges will often differ for holding different types of investment, let's say between a fund and shares for example.
    Also note that sometimes regular purchases (aka dealings) are cheaper than one offs, if for example you have a "standing order" to buy 100 a month ofa fund.
    Look for snowman's spreadsheet which will calculate the costs for you.
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 10-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 10th Nov 19, 10:23 AM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    Albermarle
    • 10th Nov 19, 10:23 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 10:23 AM
    Some platforms/personal pensions/ISA's/SIPPS do not charge for buying and selling funds, such as multi asset funds ( although they all charge for buying/selling exchange traded products ) . However as a general rule the ones that do not charge have a higher overall platform charge .
    https://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
    • Ellie78
    • By Ellie78 10th Nov 19, 11:04 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Ellie78
    • 10th Nov 19, 11:04 AM
    • 10th Nov 19, 11:04 AM
    Thanks for clearing that up!

I'm trying to decide if going with a more well known fund via a platform with more charges will work out better in the long run than the limited choice offered by a very cheap no charges platform.

I'll take a look at Snowman's spreadsheet and see if that helps.
    Mortgage - 49,127.98 / 44,227.98 / 39,000 / 36,000 / 33,270 remaining
    2019 OPs - 15,620.23
    • IanSt
    • By IanSt 10th Nov 19, 12:10 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    IanSt
    • 10th Nov 19, 12:10 PM
    • 10th Nov 19, 12:10 PM
    I'm trying to decide if going with a more well known fund via a platform with more charges will work out better in the long run than the limited choice offered by a very cheap no charges platform.
    Originally posted by Ellie78
    You might well find that you'd be best to start off with a percentage based platform with low/zero charges for fund purchases for the first few years and then transfer across to a fixed fee platform when that starts to make a significant saving.

E.g. my DW started off an ISA with a monthly plan with Fidelity (so there was only the 0.35% annual platform charge with no dealing costs for her monthly purchases of funds) but she has now transferred the funds across to iweb where costs are 5 per deal but there are no other annual platform charges (though you do have to pay 25 the first time you open an iweb account).
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 10th Nov 19, 2:33 PM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    Albermarle
    • 10th Nov 19, 2:33 PM
    • 10th Nov 19, 2:33 PM
    You might well find that you'd be best to start off with a percentage based platform with low/zero charges for fund purchases for the first few years and then transfer across to a fixed fee platform when that starts to make a significant saving.
    The only rider to that is if you were not invested in funds/OEIC's but in shares/Investment Trusts/ETF's.
    The main % based providers ( HL, AJ Bell & Fidelity ) all cap their annual charges on these products at low levels , so they are competitive with fixed fee providers in this instance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,839Posts Today

7,177Users online

Martin's Twitter