Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • potatobrains
    • By potatobrains 10th Nov 19, 12:20 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    potatobrains
    Transferring NEST to LGPS
    • 10th Nov 19, 12:20 PM
    Transferring NEST to LGPS 10th Nov 19 at 12:20 PM
    Hi, I've got a NEST pension which is a pot-type one, but I've recently got a new job with the local council which gives me the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS), which is a CARE (Career Average Related Earnings), rather than a pot-type pension. I'm about to transfer from NEST into the LGPS one (because the NEST one doesn't get good reviews & to keep things simple by having just 1 pension). I'm wondering how the transferral might work as they're two different types of pension. Any ideas how this goes & is it a good idea?

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th Nov 19, 12:53 PM
    • 4,750 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 10th Nov 19, 12:53 PM
    • 10th Nov 19, 12:53 PM
    You could get an estimate of how much CARE pension your NEST transfer value will buy for you, then decide.

If you do decide to go ahead with the transfer, then you ordinarily won't be able to draw your LGPS pension before State pension age without taking an actuarial reduction for early payment.

Leave it where it is, however, and you'd be able to draw your NEST pension from (currently) 55.
    • potatobrains
    • By potatobrains 10th Nov 19, 1:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    potatobrains
    • 10th Nov 19, 1:15 PM
    • 10th Nov 19, 1:15 PM
    Thanks for your reply Silvertabby. I don't expect to retire early as I'm not earning megabucks, but not being able to draw from it early is worth considering. Actuarial reductions look like a significant %-age after a quick search online.

Might it be a better idea to transfer my NEST pot to a different private pension provider?
    Last edited by potatobrains; 10-11-2019 at 1:24 PM.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th Nov 19, 1:25 PM
    • 4,750 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 10th Nov 19, 1:25 PM
    • 10th Nov 19, 1:25 PM
    Thanks for your reply Silvertabby. I don't expect to retire early as I'm not earning megabucks, but not being able to draw from it early is worth considering. Actuarial reductions look like a significant %-age after a quick search online.

Might it be a better idea to transfer my NEST pot to a different private pension provider?
    Originally posted by potatobrains

Can't help you with that one, I'm afraid - but I'm sure someone else will pop up with some thoughts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,670Posts Today

7,411Users online

Martin's Twitter