Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 10th Nov 19, 12:45 PM
    • 2,093Posts
    • 1,316Thanks
    RHemmings
    Vodafone in Turkey and Iraq?
    • 10th Nov 19, 12:45 PM
    Vodafone in Turkey and Iraq? 10th Nov 19 at 12:45 PM
    I'm travelling to Kurdistan (country-wise, officially Iraq for mobile phone purposes it seems) through Turkey. I would like to have data at least working during this trip. I will be staying every night in places that have WiFi, so only need

My normal number is a 3 PAYG number which I use very sparingly. However, I note that the roaming charges are quite high in both Turkey and Iraq.

I looked into local SIM cards and while they can be bought, I think that the initial and bundle prices are, particularly for Turkey, going to be more than I'll end up spending anyhow.

It's possible that I will be back in Turkey for a longer time in July.

From research I've done, it appears that having Vodafone will be the best option. If I give myself a bundle before I leave, then those minutes and MB will be available to use as if I am in the UK. That will be cheaper than anything I can get in Turkey, it seems, and I can use the SIM again in July.

For Iraq, the charges by Vodafone seem not too bad. In particular, data is 12p/MB. However, I don't think I'll use that much data, and getting a local SIM card may give me a lower p/MB figure, but have an initial cost more than I'll actually use. I won't be streaming Netflix while out and about.

It's quite complicated, but it seems to me that adding a Vodafone SIM to my phone and using it while overseas is perhaps the best solution I can find.

When it's possible, I prefer to use my standard card and just pay a bit more. E.g. using my 3 SIM in New Zealand. But, in some countries roaming on 3 is just too expensive and Turkey and Iraq are two of them.

Does anyone have any advice or can anyone recommend a better way of doing things.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,710Posts Today

7,868Users online

Martin's Twitter