Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • w00519772
    • By w00519772 9th Nov 19, 8:10 AM
    • 1,285Posts
    • 215Thanks
    w00519772
    Disposed on boxes of expensive products.
    • 9th Nov 19, 8:10 AM
    Disposed on boxes of expensive products. 9th Nov 19 at 8:10 AM
    I recently purchased an Apple Mac Pro and a Garmin Fenix 5 Plus spending around £1,400. After one month I decided not to return them (Amazon give you one month to decide on your purchase), so I disposed of the boxes.

I am now thinking that I should of kept them in case I want to sell the items in the future. Should I have kept them? Does the box affect the resale value? I have a few options:

1) Do nothing (if the box does not affect the retail value)
    2) Buy the boxes on their own. I can find the Apple Mac Pro box for sale on Ebay for about £10. I cannot find a Garmin Fenix 5 Plus silver box at the moment.
    3) Buy a wallet to hold the devices and then sell the devices with the wallet (if I sell them).

I would be grateful to hear from others who have been in this situation.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 9th Nov 19, 8:32 AM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 9th Nov 19, 8:32 AM
    • 9th Nov 19, 8:32 AM
    Technology depreciates very quickly and it is a very fast moving market.
    Its not like you see on Bargain Hunt and friends where they make a key point of it being in its original box boosts the value - that's true in that area but not here.

You're almost certainly guaranteed never to get back what you paid for them, its like when you buy a car it depreciates in value the second you get it off the forecourt.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 9th Nov 19, 9:29 AM
    • 8,768 Posts
    • 7,666 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 9th Nov 19, 9:29 AM
    • 9th Nov 19, 9:29 AM
    It is good to have all packaging when selling but I wouldn't buy some unless you are selling soon and can see it will increase the value.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • epninety
    • By epninety 9th Nov 19, 9:42 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    epninety
    • 9th Nov 19, 9:42 AM
    • 9th Nov 19, 9:42 AM
    Clearly you shouldn't have disposed of the boxes, you should have sold them on ebay.

If there are idiots out there buying them. it would be rude not to take their money?
    • w00519772
    • By w00519772 9th Nov 19, 10:16 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    w00519772
    • 9th Nov 19, 10:16 AM
    • 9th Nov 19, 10:16 AM
    Technology depreciates very quickly and it is a very fast moving market.
    Its not like you see on Bargain Hunt and friends where they make a key point of it being in its original box boosts the value - that's true in that area but not here.

You're almost certainly guaranteed never to get back what you paid for them, its like when you buy a car it depreciates in value the second you get it off the forecourt.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    So if you saw two Apple Mac Pros (or any other device really for sale) - one says it is in its box and one says it is not. Would you pay more for the one in the box? I think the o e in the box would be sold first, however I don't think for more money, though I am not sure.
    • w00519772
    • By w00519772 9th Nov 19, 10:18 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    w00519772
    • 9th Nov 19, 10:18 AM
    • 9th Nov 19, 10:18 AM
    It is good to have all packaging when selling but I wouldn't buy some unless you are selling soon and can see it will increase the value.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I am not planning to sell them for a long time (3 years maybe). However, I am fairly sure that one day I will want to sell them (to upgrade). Therefore I am thinking ahead.
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 9th Nov 19, 10:41 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Morbier
    • 9th Nov 19, 10:41 AM
    • 9th Nov 19, 10:41 AM
    I always keep the boxes for my tech stuff, but don't really know why! Then, after a couple of years or so, I throw them away (in the recycling bin, of course).

However, for a desktop PC, I've always kept the boxes as they're easier to transport (e.g. when you're selling or taking in for repair).

Whether or not there was a box wouldn't influence me if I was buying, as long as there were all the relevant leads and plugs etc.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Nov 19, 11:40 AM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,094 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 9th Nov 19, 11:40 AM
    • 9th Nov 19, 11:40 AM
    Some items sell more easily if sold in their original boxes and with all original accessories, manuals, etc. As others mentioned, IT deprecates so significantly that itís really only worth keeping boxes in case of needing to ship back under warranty. My old iPhone SE is now only worth 1/10th of the purchase price as a trade-in...

Many of us keep such boxes in the loft, if nothing else it adds to the insulation!
    • that
    • By that 9th Nov 19, 12:27 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    that
    • 9th Nov 19, 12:27 PM
    • 9th Nov 19, 12:27 PM
    We have had two guys at work been able to sell empty boxes on ebay. One got about £15 for an ipad and the other got £30 for an x-box, so they say.

If you need to return stuff within warranty, it is good to have the box
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,824Posts Today

7,248Users online

Martin's Twitter