Barclays seen it’s a**e with Post Office cash withdrawals

Options
124»

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    I've genuinely never heard it before in my life, and has absolutely no clue what it meant until I Googled it, and found out it was a Northern colloquialism.
    From personal experience I know people here are very very very VERY quick to jump on anyone who dares to ask a question & respond with "WHY DON'T YOU SEARCH".

At least you're one of those who stuck with that viewpoint & actually did a search instead of waving your arms around demanding attention.

My wife being from another country, i hear different phrases all the time, even 15+ years in. I just ask what they mean. Usually i can figure out depending on how they're used. I don't start crying over them because i've never heard them before.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    I've genuinely never heard it before in my life, and has absolutely no clue what it meant until I Googled it, and found out it was a Northern colloquialism.

The problem for me was that, instead of explaining it, the OP just repeated it replacing "a**e" with "rear end" which didn't help at all.

Well, the OP did also include a link to an article that explained the meaning.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    Well, the OP did also include a link to an article that explained the meaning.

Eventually.

I'm 'from the north' and had never heard the expression.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    In which part of the country is that?

Currently Lincs but I work with people from everywhere so location isn't particularly relevant in my case.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I was born in Manchester and have lived all my life in GMR and I've never heard the expression ever. Perhaps having been to grammar school, MGS no less, I've clearly mixed since then with a better class of person.

I think the whole thing is a bum rap.

Che?
  • Davy_Jones_II
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    Eventually.

I'm 'from the north' and had never heard the expression.
    I’m from the North too, and haven’t heard it either.

I’m also sensible enough to know that using a colloquialism without explaining it on a national forum is stupid, despite those desperate to be contrarian and try to support the OP.
  • Flo2108
    Flo2108 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    According to the article, "See your !!!!" means "Be annoyed". Apparently it's from Manchester - though I've family from Manchester and I've *never* heard that expression before.

However, if we we accept the meaning from The Mirror (because The Mirror has never been known to publish falsehoods) it still doesn't make sense in the given context.

Barclays have, seemingly, withdrawn counter services from post office branches - why does that make them annoyed?

If you ‘see your a**e’ with someone or something, it means that the someone or something has annoyed you so you don’t speak/deal with them anymore.

I’m from Manchester, it’s a fairly common saying. I’ve heard people not from here use it too.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From personal experience I know people here are very very very VERY quick to jump on anyone who dares to ask a question & respond with "WHY DON'T YOU SEARCH".

I always find that obnoxious, because 99/100 it's quicker just to answer the question than to go "why don't you search? I am very smart. I have never known love."

The only ones that annoy me are the ones where they ask questions about their accounts which only their bank can answer, or where it would make more sense to call the bank first to ask what's up well before coming to MSE with the question.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    I always find that obnoxious, because 99/100 it's quicker just to answer the question than to go "why don't you search? I am very smart. I have never known love."

Even more annoying are responses to the question: "How do you do x?"
    with "Why do you want to do x? It would be much better to do y!"

Grrr!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills