Why do employees use a different entrance?

I work in a three star hotel, and recently a new general manager has started working there. He’s trodden on a few toes to say the least - he’s made a lot of changes and implemented new rules without explaining his reasoning. His most recent new rule is that employees must use the back entrance of the hotel when they come to work.

Does anyone know why this would be? The hotel is by no means a luxury establishment. Our clientele is mostly young couples and families, and the place has a very informal, friendly vibe. The staff just look like smartly-dressed guests when they come in the front door, so I don’t understand why we can’t continue to do this.

I asked one of my colleagues about it, however, that was probably a mistake as she is an extremely big suck-up. She’s worked there for 15 years and was best friends with the very first general manager, and seems to think that because of this she will automatically become friends with all the following managers. She said she knows the reason why but she can’t tell me, like she had been trusted with some highly classified government secret. The new manager fails to offer reasoning or rationale for any of his changes. I would be more willing to accept them if I knew why they were being implemented.

So, why do employees have to use a different entrance to customers/clients? And how have you dealt with new managers who have re-written the rule book?

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    You have to use the rear door because your boss has requested you do so. Unless you are disabled and cant get round the back, you just have to do it.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    it's like affordable housing when it forms part of a luxury block with a 'poor door' for the cheaper flats so these tenants know their place
  • Mikela78
    Mikela78 Posts: 15 Forumite
    The reason won't be exciting.
    Perhaps that the customer only sees you when you are ready to serve them.
    Could be to avoid the "untidiness" of staff potentially gathering and chatting near the front.
    These sound ridiculous I know.
    I've worked at hotels with same rule on only using the rear entrance, and one where staff were not permitted to be in the restaurant and bar off duty even as paying customers!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

So, why do employees have to use a different entrance to customers/clients?

Because management have decreed it. As it is an innocuous request, the prudent employee will obey it without question.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I work in a three star hotel, and recently a new general manager has started working there. He!!!8217;s trodden on a few toes to say the least - he!!!8217;s made a lot of changes and implemented new rules without explaining his reasoning. His most recent new rule is that employees must use the back entrance of the hotel when they come to work.

Does anyone know why this would be? The hotel is by no means a luxury establishment. Our clientele is mostly young couples and families, and the place has a very informal, friendly vibe. The staff just look like smartly-dressed guests when they come in the front door, so I don!!!8217;t understand why we can!!!8217;t continue to do this.

I asked one of my colleagues about it, however, that was probably a mistake as she is an extremely big suck-up. She!!!8217;s worked there for 15 years and was best friends with the very first general manager, and seems to think that because of this she will automatically become friends with all the following managers. She said she knows the reason why but she can!!!8217;t tell me, like she had been trusted with some highly classified government secret. The new manager fails to offer reasoning or rationale for any of his changes. I would be more willing to accept them if I knew why they were being implemented.

So, why do employees have to use a different entrance to customers/clients? And how have you dealt with new managers who have re-written the rule book?

No one here will be able to say definitively why, only you manager can - if you don't like their reasoning or rationale, that's an issue for you to come to terms with, they're the boss.

You haven't updated your other threads about signing a 30 hour contract or moving in with your supervisor - why is that?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Also, it could be so that the guests don't ask the staff work related questions before they've signed in/officially started work.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,484
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There are plenty of places where the staff might use a different entrance to the customer, hotels being one of the more obvious. What is the problem in using the entrance that your employer has specified?
    Surely its the prerogative of the general manager to change things if they think they need changing?
  • It!!!8217;s very common for service employees to not use the main entrance. You need to ask the boss for their exact reasoning.

No idea why anyone would want to go to a bar they worked at - and it also leads to freebies or general distraction of staff.

The issue is your inability to cope with change and your judgments about your work mate.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Another potential reason is so that it is immediately obvious everyone walking through the front door is a guest - easier to keep track of and greet appropriately.

But as said, some things you just do the way the boss wants.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    I work in a three star hotel, and recently a new general manager has started working there. He's trodden on a few toes to say the least - he's made a lot of changes and implemented new rules without explaining his reasoning. His most recent new rule is that employees must use the back entrance of the hotel when they come to work.

Does anyone know why this would be? The hotel is by no means a luxury establishment. Our clientele is mostly young couples and families, and the place has a very informal, friendly vibe. The staff just look like smartly-dressed guests when they come in the front door, so I don't understand why we can't continue to do this.

I asked one of my colleagues about it, however, that was probably a mistake as she is an extremely big suck-up. She's worked there for 15 years and was best friends with the very first general manager, and seems to think that because of this she will automatically become friends with all the following managers. She said she knows the reason why but she can't tell me, like she had been trusted with some highly classified government secret. The new manager fails to offer reasoning or rationale for any of his changes. I would be more willing to accept them if I knew why they were being implemented.

Are you kidding? We're talking about using a different door, not closing the company pension scheme.

I think you seriously need to get a grip and come to terms with what being an employee entails.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure