Insurance renewal 1 day after non fault accident.

Options
I was hit by another driver on Friday. Nothing too bad but will be expensive to fix as I'll need a new door and wheel arch trim.
I phoned my insurer to make a claim on the Friday.
Come Monday the third party insurance company told me they would like to do the repairs and give me a hire car as their policy holder had excepted liability.
I phoned my insurer to let them know it was now just information only and they agreed it would be quicker to deal with the third party insurer directly so all is good.
I hadn't realised that my insurer had emailed me over the weekend with a new renewal (it was due the following day after the accident) it said I had lost my ncb bonus and was well over £2500 (I'm over 40 and I drive a very safe mum mobile with 3 yrs ncb normally) and the quote I had before the accident was £600 so this was quite a shock but I knew it would be reinstated in the next few days so didn't panic. This morning my schedule said my ncb has been reinstated so i was super happy. I checked the monthly payment schedule to find out that although it has come down it's still double the price it was before. I'm not happy with this at all.
So my questions are (sorry this is so long)
Why is it double the price even though I've not put the claim through them?
If that's it then can I change insurers to someone cheaper even though I have a claim pending?
Should I ring them tomorrow to query it as a possible mistake?

It's such bad luck with the timing but what can you do when a new driver decides to change lanes without indicating and pulls out into the side of your car, should be pleased she was so honest because I know not everyone is.

Thanks for reading all that, sorry it's so long.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's doubled in price because you've been involved in an accident and are therefore deemed to be a higher risk than you were.

Shop around, you may be able to get a better deal, but you'll have to declare the pending claim to any new insurer.
  • Louise194
    Options
    Thank you for the reply.
    I expected it to go up a bit but not double.
    My husbands car was written off in an at fault accident in 2017 and his went up by a couple of hundred pounds. My husband has written off 3 cars in 14 years and has claimed on his insurance at least 6 times that I know of and this is the first accident I've been in, in 7 years of driving. His insurance is half the cost of mine. It doesn't make any sense.

I have looked around and its about £400 cheaper with another insurer so that's something.
    Thanks again.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is your husband named on your insurance? It sounds like he may be the risk factor here...
  • Louise194
    Options
    UPDATE:
    My insurance company called today to let me know that my policy has been adjusted again and it's now back to the original quote before I had the accident. They have also added some extras for free. I'm absolutely delighted.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Louise194 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply.
    I expected it to go up a bit but not double.
    My husbands car was written off in an at fault accident in 2017 and his went up by a couple of hundred pounds. My husband has written off 3 cars in 14 years and has claimed on his insurance at least 6 times that I know of and this is the first accident I've been in, in 7 years of driving. His insurance is half the cost of mine. It doesn't make any sense.

I have looked around and its about £400 cheaper with another insurer so that's something.
    Thanks again.

Crikey! Can you let us know when he's on the road (and where) - I'd like to stay home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure