PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Forcing an agreed sale

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wish that were the case foxy-stoat. With it being empty and insurance has increased and then there’s the council tax. Also as it’s vacant it’s deteriorating

Cant cost that much though each month....maybe £150 each?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Agreed - say to her no need for change of use. You will be moving in and doing a basic refurb so it can be sold as a house.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Move into the property yourself and rent your place out instead.

The trouble is that his late mother's house might not be conveniently situated for work etc.

It is an unfortunate situation - maybe his sister's tactics reflect some old family tensions.

Perhaps he could give his sister a deadline to proceed? He might consider telling her that if she will not complete the purchase within a certain period, he will take legal advice on forcing a sale.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    You will lose a lot more if you pay legal professionals to try and force a sale, sit tight. If there is no mortgage on the property then you are not paying for it being empty.

Council tax, heating, repairs?
  • Crashy_Time
    ACG wrote: »
    Send her a text and just say you have decided not to sell to her any more and you would quite like to get in on the action of developing the property and then selling for an increased amount once the work is complete and you look forward to working with her on it. Regards, your new business partner.

Most people would double up laughing at that suggestion nowadays I`m afraid.
  • Most is a little bit strong Crashy! Some would certainly have this view, but others could just as well argue that modernising a property does have an upward effect on value. Not sure either view really helps the OP in this circumstance however.
  • Crashy_Time
    edited 29 December 2022 at 6:45PM
    Most is a little bit strong Crashy! Some would certainly have this view, but others could just as well argue that modernising a property does have an upward effect on value. Not sure either view really helps the OP in this circumstance however.

Fair enough, it was a joke really, but I think the days of a quick re-furb from your mate the joiner for a few k cash in hand, then banging 50k on the price are well gone though. This example underlines how an empty property can become an emotional/financial drag, my advice would be drop the price for a quick sale, but both owners would have to agree.....
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Most people would double up laughing at that suggestion nowadays I`m afraid.

No Crashy, it's only your suggestions that people double up with laughter at I'm afraid.

They're also laughing at you, not with you.
  • Crashy_Time
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    No Crashy, it's only your suggestions that people double up with laughter at I'm afraid.

They're also laughing at you, not with you.

Like my suggestion that we we will be going WTO Brexit soon? I`m sure lots of people are doubled up at that one.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Hilarious as always crashy.
    You can ALWAYS make money on a renovation project if done right.

But the point I was making was more that the sister will not want to share the profit nor work with our OP. So this might kick the sister in to action of getting everything transferred sooner rather than later.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure