Employment contract terminated with immediate effect.. Now employers want overpaid holiday pay back

My husband had his contract terminated and was asked to leave straight away. He was not allowed to work through any notice. He had to wait for his final salary and he expected that this would be calculated correctly Five months later, the employers have come back to say he was paid 33 hours extra of holiday pay Approx £250.

He is unemployed, so can't repay this at the moment, but I am concerned that as they made the error my husband should be able to contest this , My husband was not aware they had overpaid him so has spent the final salary while looking for a new job. Does he have to pay? Is there anything we can do to mitigate this?

Thanks you in advance.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JAK64 wrote: »
    My husband had his contract terminated and was asked to leave straight away. - why? and how long did he work there? He was not allowed to work through any notice. He had to wait for his final salary and he expected that this would be calculated correctly - was it? Five months later, the employers have come back to say he was paid 33 hours extra of holiday pay Approx £250. - was he?

He is unemployed, so can't repay this at the moment, but I am concerned that as they made the error my husband should be able to contest this - no, definitely not , My husband was not aware they had overpaid him so has spent the final salary while looking for a new job. Does he have to pay? - yes Is there anything we can do to mitigate this? - no

Thanks you in advance.
    Obviously he cant pay straight away (though 5 months is plenty of time to find work!) so he needs to arrange a payment plan
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Imagine he'd been underpaid and the company wanted to keep the money. Would you/he be happy? Thought not.

Being paid what's owed works both ways you know.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Check the calculations carefully for what they have paid.

Did they terminate without pay or give him PILON or put him on garden leave.
    (This changes the holiday accrual date)

If on garden leave did they explicitly say any was to be taken as holiday if they did did it follow the rules/contract.

If the over payment is for holiday taken but not accrued does the contract have a holiday overpayment clawback clause because if they don't have one there is no debt to repay for that reason of overpayment.
  • JAK64 wrote: »
    My husband had his contract terminated and was asked to leave straight away. He was not allowed to work through any notice. He had to wait for his final salary and he expected that this would be calculated correctly Five months later, the employers have come back to say he was paid 33 hours extra of holiday pay Approx £250.

He is unemployed, so can't repay this at the moment, but I am concerned that as they made the error my husband should be able to contest this , My husband was not aware they had overpaid him so has spent the final salary while looking for a new job. Does he have to pay? Is there anything we can do to mitigate this?

Thanks you in advance.

Can't offer you any advice in regards to the legal position on this, but perhaps calling them up and explaining he doesn't have a job but can start paying this back when he does, will help.

If the figures are correct, I'm not sure the avenue of ''well you paid me it so it's mine'' will wash in court. I don't know for sure though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure