Private Medical Insurance - Worth it or not?

Hi all!

First thread post!! Be nice to me please :rotfl:

I am considering purchasing a private medical insurance plan. The reason for this is that in the past I have been a member of my Dad's policy with Benenden Healthcare, but I have recently found out that for one reason or another the membership has been cancelled. I benefited from the plan in the past having used it's dermatology services as the NHS waiting time was very long. This is why am considering getting my own insurance plan, to cover me in the future for other conditions and issues that may arise.

My question is - is it even worth it, and what level of cover is correct? It's all a bit confusing. I had a healthcare cash plan with a previous job which was helpful and a 'benefit in kind' but I know that this is different to a PMI.

I should say - I only have 1 pre-existing condition of contact dermatitis/eczema. I am 25 and fairly fit and healthy (but overweight).

Thoughts and experiences welcomed!

Thanks,
Billie :j

Comments

• JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Anyone can be a member of Benenden Healthcare now. I know at one time it was restricted to civil servants etc but it's open to all these days. Current monthly rate is around £10. As you're probably aware, it has its limitations but if you're looking for private medical insurance you'll have to pay considerably more.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I thought about Benenden, but you get what you pay for. They are limited for things you are most likely to claim such as knee replacements e.t.c. They may speed up your appointments and you scans, but they have alot of exclusions.

If you can afford it, get prvate medical insurance and via a broker who can get the best product for you.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Sawman
    Sawman Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    the way things are going with commissioning of elective surgery in the NHS, private insurance is going to be ever important if you want to have anything non life threatening taken care of
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure