Tax on second job

Options
Hey,

Just started a new job with some causal work and was wondering what way my tax works as its a second job? Do I get fully taxed? (20%??)

Also my first shift was at the weekend and was give a t shirt as par of their uniform, which I was told would come out of my wages, what's the best way to claim that back?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tax will be taken at basic rate

HRMC will tally all your taxable income and adjust your tax codes accordingly
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • mvteng
    mvteng Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Tax will be taken at basic rate

HRMC will tally all your taxable income and adjust your tax codes accordingly

or, in my case, HMRC will tax both jobs at higher rate, then take 3 or 4 goes at messing about with tax codes until they eventually get to a solution
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would you pay for a T Shirt? If they wish you to wear any kind of uniform then they should be paying not you. As far at tax is concerned each company will deduct tax & NI. You should submit a claim at the end of the tax year and HMRC will refund any overpayment.
  • soupy600
    soupy600 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the replys, @GREY CRITIC I was told on my first shift I would pick up a t shirt and it would be mine to keep, it wasn't until getting there for my first shift they said something about it coming out of my wages. I get my first wages at the end of the month so will find out then. I did think it was a bit strange.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is there a logo on the T-shirt or is it just the actual colour shirt they want you to wear?
  • soupy600
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Is there a logo on the T-shirt or is it just the actual colour shirt they want you to wear?

Hi Badmemory, it's a logo'd shirt for the venue.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    soupy600 wrote: »
    Hi Badmemory, it's a logo'd shirt for the venue.

In that case, read this.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/uniform-tax-refund/

For your main question, browntoa's answer is probably correct, but to be sure we'd need to know how much you earn at your other job (and possibly how much you'll be paid at the second one).
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 19 March 2019 at 10:25PM
    Options
    You're not going to be able to claim the cost of a t-shirt back from HMRC if that's what you meant by your original question.

But if no laundry facilities are provided by this employer then you can usually claim tax relief for the cost of cleaning a logo'd item of clothing.

This may be worth more than the cost of the t-shirt in the first place. You can often get tax relief on £60 so it would typically save you £12/tax year you have the job with the logo'd t-shirt.

So if you get paid before 6 April it will be saving you £12 tax for the current tax year and if you get paid again after 5 April it will save you another £12 in the 2019:20 tax year.

Assuming you are having to pay at least £12 a year in tax in the first place.
  • soupy600
    Options
    Thanks every one,
    It's only causal stewarding work and done 5hours- - the t shirt which I will get at the end of the month and then depending what jobs I get booked in for or bid on between now and the 21st I'll then get before the tax year. Will wait and see what I get paid and taxed and then make a call
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you ask how much the T-shirt cost?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts