Tantaraza vs the Frogs!

Options
:hello:

Thanks to the encouragement of several members on other diaries, I’m posting a diary of my own since I’m in desperate need of a life overhaul. :o I would like to say a heartfelt thank you to all of you, as typing out this first post and the next was extremely cathartic, so your positive comments were very much appreciated.

I feel the need to explain what led me to this point, especially because sometimes I look back and wonder if I could have done more, but I’d rather not keep the negativity in the first post where it can be seen on every page, so I’m going to summarise events in the next post and instead focus on my plans for 2019.

I’m from a beautiful part of the West Country but am moving very far north for a completely fresh start in February. A house has been located and a holding deposit paid, so it’s a matter of time until I move. I’ve tried organising as much as I can in advance, but nobody wants to change the address on their system until I’ve actually moved into the new house. How helpful. :huh: Due to the change of circumstances and the new area, I am moving on to Universal Credit _pale_ so won’t be able to draw up a SOA until after the move, when I know how much I’ll be receiving.

I’m currently squirrelling aside money with the intention of doing an enormous cupboard food shop. The plan is to keep a running list of contents, and replace whatever I use in the next shop, so I always have X amount of Y. I’ve never been the greatest at sticking to plans so this will be my second frog of 2019. :o The hope is that in cases of extremely bad weather / payment issues / Brexit, I’ll have plenty of food to tide me over the crisis. If anyone has done or is doing similar, please let me know — I have a supermarket basket that I keep adding to whenever I think of something, although I hope I’ve got everything now, and it’s at £190ish — I have no idea if that’s good or bad. :eek:

Another frog that I would like to tackle this year is to be more open about my mental health. I’m guilty of bottling things up :o so I want to be a bit more open. The debts are a frog to tackle, of course. And, I have three dogs who will be moving out with me (their real names are very memorable, so we’ll call them Friendly, Thief, and Houdini for the internet) and my final frog of 2019 is to a) get back into my old financial position where I had money in my EF to self-insure the dogs, and b) convince Thief and Houdini to behave a little better so that I can rename them. A girl can dream... :rotfl:

Comments

• tantaraza
    Options
    At this time two years ago, I had a considerable chunk of savings, and then:
    — I lost ~£350 a month of income
    — went through 3 months with zero income
    — a cat was shot with a BB gun and needed an operation, then almost exactly a year later, the same cat got hit by a car and required inpatient treatment :( :mad:
    — Friendly needed an emergency operation with a 5% chance of survival, and although she pulled through :D the vet bill was... _pale_
    — a car needed £££ in repairs and then terminally died after repairs were done :mad:
    — and I ended up in a non-fault car accident that wrote off my beloved first car :mad:

On top of all that, 2018 was a truly dire year in terms of my mental health — and I’ve realised that when I’m miserable, I spend more and eat more. Because of all the above, my savings depleted and I’ve ended up in debt. I’ve been on a low income for years as I was a carer for my disabled parent, however our relationship has become increasingly toxic and contributed towards, for lack of a better word, a mental health ‘breakdown’ that led to me being referred to the crisis team. This is one of the reasons why I’m moving so far away from “home”, and while I know that three dogs are expensive (and I’ve been “advised” to rehome them for this reason) I have to take them with me because they are extremely beneficial to my mental health, and because the parent I care for has threatened self-harm and harm to the pets if I move out. I have made the social worker aware and support will be in place after I move out (although limited, as counselling / mental health support has been refused :() but obviously can’t leave the dogs behind for this reason. Our other pets are family pets who this parent loves, but these three are very much ‘my’ babies.

With regard to the debts, I confess that I didn’t read/open my post during the latter half of 2018 owing to the depression overwhelming everything else, so I’m not entirely sure exactly how much is owed, although I have a rough idea. My plan is to write letters stating that I’m in the process of moving and will be writing after the move with my new address and a proposed payment plan, but I don’t know where to start with this — I’ve done a little searching but so far all I’ve found is related to Stepchange, and at this point in time I’d prefer a self-managed DMP.

Debts
    CC1 — under £1k, with original CC company.
    CC2 — under £1k, with a debt recovery company now.
    BNPL — under £1k, made payments to this and I want to keep this account active in case of emergency, due to no EF, hence why I’d prefer a self-managed DMP so I can avoid including this one. I know the advice is to get rid of credit but I managed access to credit for years before the reduced income and loss of income, so I’m confident in my ability to manage this account once I get my income back to normal.
    Electricity — will sort out bill when I move out with final meter readings, and then make payments. New house is on a prepayment meter so I can’t run up another bill. :o
    PCN — £435, astronomical due to avoiding the post when I was ill. :( Would have appealed it as it was very much incorrect but it’s now past that point, apparently.
    Bank OD — £66. Priority as I don’t want it being included in a DMP, I’ve had this account since I was 16 so it’s a positive in my credit history, and I don’t want the bank closing it for the sake of such a small amount.

I reapplied for PIP in July (which was initially stopped because I was too ill to fill in forms :huh: and with everything else that happened, I couldn’t deal with the appeal process) and I’m still waiting for the assessment. Due to the nature of my own disabilities, I should get at least standard rate, so at some point I’ll receive a backdated payment which I intend to pay off (most of?) the debt with.

I’ll be back with accurate numbers soon, but a few require writing to the creditors... or perhaps I should just call them instead? I know MSE says to avoid this but I’m not sure what else I could do instead. :o

Any and all advice would be appreciated. If you’ve read to this point, thank you so much. :grouphug:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Glad you've started a diary Tantaraza and I've subscribed :T. I'll have a proper read now :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Welcome aboard and happy new diary.

They're a friendly bunch as you've found out :)

Good luck with the move and the appeal.

Have subscribed and will be following your journey.

Pmo2
    xx
  • LadyP01
    LadyP01 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome and the best of luck! Looks like your making 2019 your year!
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January 2019 at 3:22PM
    Options
    You've been through a really rough patch Tantaraza :(. I really hope things improve for you in 2019.

You've done exactly the right thing in starting your own diary, as the emotional and practical support you'll get from the lovely people here will help you immensely. I don't know how I'd have got through the past six months without the support I've had on here.

Your move to the north sounds sensible to get you away from the toxic relationship, although I'm sad to lose you from the West Country.

None of your problems are your fault, you've had some very bad luck and as we all know on here, poor mental health makes it had to put things right once they go wrong.

There are people on the diaries who are experts on all sorts of matters from benefits to DMPs so I know you will get excellent advice from them. Eager Elephant is a debt counsellor so you should definitely ask her any questions about Universal Credit. Carbootcrazy, OneBrokeLady and many others are or have been on DMPs so they can advise you on that.

Have you looked at the DMP support thread? There is lots of advice there on DMPs including self managed ones.

I think you should write to your creditors, tell them you are in financial difficulties and tell them you need a payment break for a few months. Ask them to freeze interest and charges. They have an obligation to treat your fairly so I think they will agree to this. This will give you time to move house, get your benefits sorted out and work out your SOA. You have no idea how much you can afford to pay them as you don't have that infomation currently, so a payment break is the best plan. This will give you the opportunity to save up a small emergency fund perhaps in the meantime.

I can only imagine how bad the situation with your parent must have got to make you want to escape so far away, and I'm sorry you've had to deal with this. It does sound like a fresh start will be the best thing for you. Once you get your money sorted out you will be able to have the sort of life that you deserve and that will make you happy.

Any problems with your mental health I will do my very best to support you with, as my own mental health is not great at the moment, as you know, so I know how hard life can be in this situation.

Good luck with it all and once again I am so pleased that you've started a diary of your own so that we can help you properly :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    Happy new diary !
    I just came over here to wish you all the very best. The only reason I'm not subscribing is that if I'm not careful I spend every spare moment following the fascinating ups and downs of lots of lovely people without ever getting on with my own procrastinatory (is that a word ?) problems !

You seems to have had shocking bad luck, so I think you're due a turnaround. So - all my best wishes, and give your animals some scritches from me:lovethoug
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Congratulations for starting your diary. It sounds like things have been awful for you, but also that they seem on the up now :T.

My Husband had a brain injury 7 years ago, and I’m his Carer so I do understand some of what you’ve been through. We have a Springer Spaniel and he’s absolutely wonderful. He is a real friend to all of us and I couldn’t imagine life without him. Will you be able to sign up to a local PDSA when you move? Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Lots of help & support here for you :)

What is PCN?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • tantaraza
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your lovely comments :grouphug:

Pmo2 Thank you for stopping by :)

LadyP01 Thank you :)

HHOD I really appreciate all of your advice, thank you! I’m a little nervous about contacting the creditors as I’ve not been keeping them up to date so far :o however I will check out the DMP thread and ask for payment holidays for the debts. You’re absolutely correct that it’s difficult to plan ahead when I don’t know what I’ll have coming in — I’ve checked entitledto, but there’s a domino effect caused by the delay in receiving PIP, so I won’t know a precise amount until after I move. :( Thank you for your lovely words :o

elizabethhull Thank you so much :)

please-let-me-be-lucky Thank you! I’m sorry to hear about your husband :( but I understand how beneficial your spaniel is, I feel similar about my dogs. Unfortunately I’ve checked, and the new house is out of the catchment area for PDSA :( so my plan is to put a small amount into a pet EF when I get the backdated payment and make sure any future SOA includes putting some money aside for pet emergencies/illnesses.

beanielou Thank you so much :) PCN stands for Penalty Charge Notice, which I dispute, but I appear to have missed the appeal deadline because of my depression. :(
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Hurrah for the new diary, and good luck with your plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure