Older and fitter

Comments

• Spam reported.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Luckily, she's not the sort of person feel uncomfortable being the only woman, otherwise, she would have to go to the later sessions that don't fit into our daily routine particularly well.
    Gloomendoom - I suspect Mrs G isn't the sort of person who would feel uncomfortable anywhere!!

My fitness regime so far today has consisted of making up two beds for the influx of people (kids and their husbands/their kids/general hangers-on) arriving later. With the tumble dryer in the basement and the guest bedrooms in the attic, this is no mean feat!! Apparently I can run down three flights of stairs and back up (carrying a full set of bedding) without getting out of breath! Who knew!! Later I'll be doing the 'turkey dead lift' (yes, we're doing it all over again!), and this evening, if all goes according to plan, I'll be exercising the arm and hand (not sure whether to use the red, white, or rose weights for that...).

At 9:30 I'm off to the gym (for a rest, I think!)
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ... at my gym there are three women that travel as a pack. To give them credit, they go more often than I do! I do wonder what would happen if one or other of them couldn't come for some reason.
    A form of eternal triangle. None of them dares to miss a session for fear that the other two will gossip about her. :-)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gloomendoom - I suspect Mrs G isn't the sort of person who would feel uncomfortable anywhere!!

Some truth in that, although it is a fairly recent phenomenon. She has gained a huge amount of confidence over the last few years. Losing weight helped considerably. Joining her current gym has boosted it further.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've just won a sports bra that my heart rate monitor can clip into.

I can't work out how you can win a sports bra. Isn't there a 50% chance that a man would have won it? I have never bought a sports bra but I thought they came in different sizes?
  • fred246 wrote: »
    I can't work out how you can win a sports bra. Isn't there a 50% chance that a man would have won it? I have never bought a sports bra but I thought they came in different sizes?
    I couldn't agree more fred!! I had a choice of T-shirt with gym logo, or sports bra, so I guess the guys would get the T-shirt. But I had a choice, and a guy wouldn't have a choice, so I totally agree it's not quite right. They do come in different sizes (good observation there...) - it's had to be ordered for me.
  • AliBee16
    AliBee16 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Would like to follow this thread as inspiration as I want to get fitter in 2019, at age 57.
    I am quite active at work. I work in retail so am on my feet for 7 hours a day, climb about 25 flights of stairs and do about 3 hours of delivery,lifting heavy crates, so I'm fittish but feel the need to do more heavier cardio.
    I started the couch to 5k podcast last year so will re-start that and will go back to my weekly Zumba class which I love. I also want to find a good beginners yoga as my joints are really stiff. Oh and continue losing weight with ww. I lost 1 and a half stone last year and am about half way to goal.
    I feel if I type it I will make it happen :rotfl::rotfl:
  • When I retired from my full time job nearly six years ago at the age of sixty, I was determined to join a gym. I was only interested in classes, as I find that I enjoy exercise more when with others rather than doing my own thing in the gym itself. I do Zumba twice a week, Body Pump and Body Conditioning spread over four mornings in total and love it, especially Zumba. Occasionally I wake up and feel that I can’t be bothered, but I have never let myself give into those feelings as I will just feel that I have let myself down. I also work in a restaurant three nights a week, which involves walking around fifteen miles in total. I do feel quite fit as a result, and it’s interesting that if I am away on holiday for a couple of weeks, I regress a bit and it’s nice to get back on track as soon as I return.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 December 2018 at 11:21PM
    Welcome Ali!! Now that you've typed it, it will definitely happen.

Yes, I prefer to exercise with other people ibizafan - or rather, I need a trainer to keep me going!! We had Sam today - the first time he led a class, I thought he was a bit shouty, but now he's one of my favourites. He's very keen to make sure you get the technique right - and I think that becomes more and more important as you get older. You can kind of get away with it a bit when you're younger!! And he was the first person ever to tell me that I could lift heavier than I was lifting - and he was right! Wow - you do a lot of classes, variety is the spice of life!
  • I started a similar thread in 2017 here … https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5577683

I'm still at it 3 times a week (oh errr) as they say.

I start with a few weights, you wont believe how much you improve over time. I arm curl with each arm starting at 20 x 100lb then 120, then 140 then drop to 15 x 150, sometimes 160 - still building it up. On a good day I peak at 10 x 170lb with each arm individually. Biceps have grown up!

Next I cycle hard for 20 mins approx, I do 320 cals, min 15 per minute and I really get a sweat on.

Couple of machines next while I get my breath back, nothing too strenuous.

I move to the rowing machine and do 55 sit ups then row 2km, I aim for under 10 mins, if someone is training near me I go harder and can just about do it in 9 mins. I do another 55 sit ups after the rowing.

I cool down with a gentle walk on the treadmill and a couple of weight machines, takes me about 1 1/2 hours in total.

I am much fitter than I was 3 years ago, walking has become a pleasure rather than a chore. This year I went with a group including my wife and daughter and we climbed Ben Nevis, something I suppose I thought I'd never do.

If your thinking about joining a jym give it a go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure