Compare Breakdown Cover Car Breakdown Discussion

Hi,

This is a feedback thread on car breakdown provider:

Compare Breakdown Cover

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
  • Have you experienced problems?
  • Did you haggle and succeed?

The feedback comes as part of the Cheap Breakdown Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony

Comments

• Site is well organised BUT it favors the breakdown insurers because it DOES NOT OFFER PERSONAL COVER, no matter whose service you choose. Only the car you select is covered.
    Not good for consumers, also watch out for countries not listed on EU cover. All uk insurers now include Serbia which is not in the EU but is surrounded by EU countries & is the best route between them, so SHOULD NOT BREAKDOWN COVER FOLLOW SUIT ??
  • Warning on older vehicles. Spoke to Kwit fit to clarify exclusions on an older vehicle and they stated that the cover was a maximum of £250. Policy was £152 pa Most recoveries are at least £1000. No point at all to the insurance
  • AA Gold Member
    Thank you Martin :D. My AA breakdown renewal quote, came through this morning and the price had gone up considerably to £330.61p . I decided to try the haggling suggested on this site and I managed to get it down to £220.61. I still felt they could do better (after all I've been a member for 21 years). With a little gentle persistence and some info from a price comparison site, I managed to get it down to £135.00. That includes everything they offer apart from the "breakdown repair cover" as I'm getting a newer car after the summer. So a HUGE Thank You , to the Money Saving Expert......I think I love You xx
  • Spartak
    Spartak Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 August 2016 at 3:10PM
    Paid £60 for full breakdown/European cover last year on a 9 year old car with the Green Insurance Company, an off-shoot of KwickFit, the GIC has now been absorbed into KwikFit, had the renewal quote - £110.96, I phoned up and was told I hadn't been given the online price, turns out that is £108, thanks but no thanks. Haggling didn't work. Phoned my car insurer, Direct Line, they wanted £151, and wouldn't budge despite also having house insurance with them too. Obviously they don't want the business
  • Our_John
    Our_John Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2016 at 4:49PM
    Used CBC to get a quote for my motorhome breakdown cover for UK use and they came good for £67.49 (using the MSE03 discount code) BUT be aware that "Motor homes which exceed 3500kg in weight (including load) 7.0 metres in length, 3.0 metres in height or 2.25 metres in width" are not covered so make sure that you check the detail (and there are PLENTY of T & C's)
    No complaints from me then as yet.... hoping I never need their services but I will give feedback on here should that event ever arise!!
    :beer: It's nice to be important... but it's more important to be nice!
    :grouphug:
  • Took out European cover for a camper van following MSE advice (and discount code, thanks for that!).

The policy cost £77.00 for a year and, while it's not generous, it should help us if we need it.

Moved from LV/Brittania and saved £103.00.

Thanks MSE team! You've saved me £s again!
  • christinebaughen
    christinebaughen Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2017 at 12:00AM
    Used MSE site tool to get quote for towing a caravan in Europe. Offered only 1 quote for annual breakdown cover. Quote was very cheap but also very limited on what is covered and not comparable at all to RAC or AA European cover. For instance only £100 to cover a hire car if your's needs to go in for repair, no cover for punctures, no cover for delivery of parts, nothing towards garage fees. Would rather pay a bit more and get decent level of cover, but will certainly be haggling with them as per your advice.
  • Just been on to get a quote, put in details and it came up that they don't cover vehicles under 21 years but as mine is only 20 thought no problem. Asked for more details and added it was a motorhome/ campervan which was on their list and it came up with, no cover and as they had a chat feature I spoke to Jeremy and it turns out they only cover them up to 16 years old. Asked why they didn't say that then and he said good point and asked their tech time and was told the age is only a generic term.
    Useless if you have a motorhome/caravan and they don't give you the correct info
  • Did you know that RAC, AA & Green Flag will charge you to recover your vehicle if it can't be driven after an accident as it is not a "breakdown"?
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 December 2017 at 1:27PM
    Got my car insurance and Euopean breakdown cover (Britania) via LV. Fab service and very competitive prices for both products. Covers both car and caravan breakdown for up to 180 days in a single trip. Got it as an add-on to my car insurance for £78! Covers both car and caravan. Insurance for car also covered for 180 days in most European countries. Highly recommended.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback