Used Car Sale Enquiry

Options
A couple of weeks ago I was going to purchase a car from a used car dealer. I paid £500 deposit and agreed to pay the rest in a few days. The balance was to be as £28,000 in cash and £8,000 from a finance company. I paid a further £10,000 in cash but in the end due to insurance being way to expensive and their abusive and threatening calls I decided not go through with the purchase so informed the dealer that I would no longer want the car. I expected to lose the deposit but the company are refusing to give me the £10,000 back.They have said they will give me £8,500 back and charge £2,000 for a restocking fee, later they offered £9,500 back and £1,000 for a restocking fee but can they do this.I have not signed any paperwork at all except for the finance agreement which has obviously been cancelled as I didn’t purchase the car. I was never told there would be a restocking fee or any other cancellation fee, I have never seen any T’s & C’s and as I said I have never signed any contract or paperwork. The car never left their possession and was still for sale on their website. In any case should they have not at least refunded the money they agreed to and then we could just argue about the restocking fee. They have the car and £10,500 of my money. Where do I go from here? Can anyone help?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I was going to purchase a car from a used car dealer. I paid £500 deposit and agreed to pay the rest in a few days. The balance was to be as £28,000 in cash and £8,000 from a finance company. I paid a further £10,000 in cash but in the end due to insurance being way to expensive and their abusive and threatening calls I decided not go through with the purchase so informed the dealer that I would no longer want the car. I expected to lose the deposit but the company are refusing to give me the £10,000 back.They have said they will give me £8,500 back and charge £2,000 for a restocking fee, later they offered £9,500 back and £1,000 for a restocking fee but can they do this.I have not signed any paperwork at all except for the finance agreement which has obviously been cancelled as I didn’t purchase the car. I was never told there would be a restocking fee or any other cancellation fee, I have never seen any T’s & C’s and as I said I have never signed any contract or paperwork. The car never left their possession and was still for sale on their website. In any case should they have not at least refunded the money they agreed to and then we could just argue about the restocking fee. They have the car and £10,500 of my money. Where do I go from here? Can anyone help?

Why did you pay £10,000 before deciding you can't afford it?

It's such a dark one it's almost unbelievable.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You have a contract and they are entitled to their losses. They need to mitigate those losses by reselling the car for the best price they can get. if this is the same as you were paying then they must refund everything including the deposit.

If they get a lower amount then the difference comes out your end.

You might need to think about how you proceed and for this amount, seek professional help.

I too however don't understand how you can fork out 10k in cash when they are not allowed to accept this amount in the first place due to money laundering rules. Did they do any due diligence on you when you paid this cash? As a car dealer they will know the rules.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's such a dark one it's almost unbelievable.
    Does it matter?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You got abusive calls after leaving a deposit but before saying you didn't want the vehicle?

I've never heard of a car dealer taking a deposit then making threats before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure