Cheap Sanitary Products

Comments

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 20 March 2019 at 9:17PM
    https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-services-and-treatments/can-i-get-incontinence-products-on-the-nhs/

You 'may' be entitled to free incontinence products on the NHS, but criteria varies by CCG. They will make you try a lot of other things first i.e. physio, surgery, before giving out pads.

https://sites.google.com/site/shewhorunsintheforest/008

Pattern I used for PLs, but must also try for pads. It's a great pattern! I recommend KAM snaps over metal poppers, which seem to fail over time but are more readily available, cheaper and easier to apply. Perhaps if I had used larger poppers it may have been different? Something to try.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thuds and grunts as I excavate my sewing machine - Thank You Wizzbang plus whomever shewhorunsintheforest is!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Crystalin wrote: »
    Hi all. I have Been reading through your forum with interest. Thank you for updating my knowledge of today’s products. May I however add another issue on behalf of those woman, post menopause who suffer from bladder incontinence and are surviving on a meagre single person pension. Their protection is required for 365 Days a year, year in year out. As far as I am aware no free products available?

There are huge gaps in the NHS with regards to continence issues, my mum was receiving palliative care at home and her continence problems were caused by a brain tumour blocking the pathways to feelings in her bladder, we had to provide pads ourselves, as our trust only provides them for patients who have disease of the urinary system, had her tumours been in her bladder they would have been provided. We were in the situation where we could afford these products, but I can see how some families would struggle and have to make sacrifices elsewhere.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Prompted by my ignorance on PUL I found this site on the fabric which also includes a pattern for cloth sanitary pads which can also be be used for incontinence issues.

Reminded me of the fleece liners we used with cloth nappies at the toddle group, and frankly that could get quite a lot of delighted gigglesome fun as the wonderful abakhan chain has all sorts of fleece designs & since you pay by weight, well - it can be very MS so long as you stick ruthlessly to the list & the area of fleece you had in mind! They also have PUL fabric too.
  • Lucyjoanne
    Lucyjoanne Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I switched to reusable panty liners/pads at the beginning of the year and haven’t looked back. I ordered from cheeky wipes.com who make their own in different patterns, and you can choose your own length and absorbency level, and also a hygienic pouch to store them incase you are out.

I always felt the fear of ‘bleeding through’ as I never know what my period is going to be like. I think I spent around 30-40 pounds? But that then means no more money on sanitary products for years, and it’s great for the environment too!
  • Just wanted to commend MSE for saying “people who have periods” in their helpful article :money:
  • Menstrual cups are not just about age find out for how high your cervix (instructions on line) is as well that will determine what shape you need.

I have suffered from very heavy periods that both tampax and towels could not cope with as well as great pain, using these have lessened my symptoms and there are websites that agree with these findings. The vast majority of sanitary products are not cotton like I used to believe which is why you can suffer from toxic shock. I have not been using non cotton products for many years and it has taken a long time for my symptoms to improve. From my experience you will not only save yourself money but also possible health problems and the environment by using cups! Warning they do take some getting used to fitting and getting out!
  • Two more things about cups I never did get the hang of in the toilet and always have to take it out in the shower. And if you suffer from a lot pain like me I found a firm one alleviates some pain making them far more managable.
  • 114894dk
    114894dk Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think there's a typo in the piece. It says 'people who have periods' - I think it should say, women and girls
  • 114894dk said:
    I think there's a typo in the piece. It says 'people who have periods' - I think it should say, women and girls
    Ermmm no Trans people (ie someone born a female but identifies as male) may also need to use sanitary products. also incontinence is not exclusive to a gender. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback