Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Saztoes wrote: »
    Hi.
    Im 36 years old and i've just handed in my notice following maternity leave and will be going on to universal credit while I care for my son. Im hoping to complete a 1 year level 4 diploma at a Montessori training centre. Is there any financial assistance, student loan or otherwise that you know of that I can apply for?
    Thanks

Montessori Centre International is a listed body fo Student Finance
    https://www.gov.uk/check-a-university-is-officially-recognised
  • Hi please could you advised on a plan 1 type student loan from 1995? I have very infrequently paid small amount off it from by employer as obviously don't earn enough. But just wondering do the loans expire? Or become null after so many years ? Thank you
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hoochflyer wrote: »
    Hi please could you advised on a plan 1 type student loan from 1995? I have very infrequently paid small amount off it from by employer as obviously don't earn enough. But just wondering do the loans expire? Or become null after so many years ? Thank you

1995 loans were mortgage-style, not plan 1 income-contingent.
  • Danipat
    Danipat Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi Ed,

I wondered if you could help me please.

Basically, I started a degree with the OU in September but realised it wasn't for me early November. I told OU and SFW I was leaving the course. I have only just realised that even after telling SFW I had finished they still paid me the second installment of my student loan in November/December.

What happens now with repaying this. I am self employed and earn £25-30k a year. Do I just repay it the same as if I had qualified. ie £20 a month. They're not going to ask for the whole lot back in one go are they??
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Danipat wrote: »
    Hi Ed,

I wondered if you could help me please.

Basically, I started a degree with the OU in September but realised it wasn't for me early November. I told OU and SFW I was leaving the course. I have only just realised that even after telling SFW I had finished they still paid me the second installment of my student loan in November/December.

What happens now with repaying this. I am self employed and earn £25-30k a year. Do I just repay it the same as if I had qualified. ie £20 a month. They're not going to ask for the whole lot back in one go are they??

Your entitlement will be recalculated based on your withdrawal date. For some reason the withdrawal date hasn't been processed.

Any overpayment is revoverable immediately or via a negotiated payment plan.
  • Hi,

Hopefully this has not been asked before.....

Our Son wants to do a Postgraduate MA in Acting. Course fees are £14445, also the course is in London....So Mega expensive living costs!!!

For his Undergraduate course, he got a Student Loan, but the minimum, I think because of combined Family Income...

My Questions are, when does our Son cease to be a Dependent? Can he apply for a Student Loan to cover any of the Student Fees/Living Costs & do we need to provide our incomes again, he is working park-time, trying to earn some extra cash & we try & help, whenever we can, but it is tough, & if he moves to London for the 2019/20 Postgraduate MA, It will be even tougher...

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated....

TIA
  • Uniqueop
    Uniqueop Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi,

I think I have an overpayment or I’m in arrears with a previous student loan I had. I never got the qualification due circumstance and I was undiagnosed with Autism so I left my course. My ex at the time had control over my money so I never knew I was still getting paid my maintenance loan. Anyway, he was paying it back every month and we split up, I had a mental breakdown and was later diagnosed as having autism.

I now want to study with the open university and I have registered for the course. But I was told that if I was in arrears I would not be entitled to the tuition fee loan. I was told if I start paying it back I would be entitled to the tuition fee loan and no more. Is this true? Obviously I want to start paying it back but I can’t afford £50 a month (that I’ve been told by other people not SFE) as I am the sole earner in my household.

I log into my account and it doesn’t say on there about overpayment or arrears? Sorry I’m just worried and I just want to have a qualification that will better my circumstances. Thank you for your time!
    Current debt: JD Williams: £1,484, Shop Direct: £150.00, Three Mobile: £81.33, Simply be: £2,500, Overdraft: -£997, Vodaphone: £150.00
  • sheramber
    edited 24 March 2019 at 2:08PM
    Hi,

Hopefully this has not been asked before.....

Our Son wants to do a Postgraduate MA in Acting. Course fees are £14445, also the course is in London....So Mega expensive living costs!!!

For his Undergraduate course, he got a Student Loan, but the minimum, I think because of combined Family Income...

My Questions are, when does our Son cease to be a Dependent? Can he apply for a Student Loan to cover any of the Student Fees/Living Costs & do we need to provide our incomes again, he is working park-time, trying to earn some extra cash & we try & help, whenever we can, but it is tough, & if he moves to London for the 2019/20 Postgraduate MA, It will be even tougher...

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated....

TIA

https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study
  • sheramber
    Uniqueop wrote: »
    Hi,

I think I have an overpayment or I’m in arrears with a previous student loan I had. I never got the qualification due circumstance and I was undiagnosed with Autism so I left my course. My ex at the time had control over my money so I never knew I was still getting paid my maintenance loan. Anyway, he was paying it back every month and we split up, I had a mental breakdown and was later diagnosed as having autism.

I now want to study with the open university and I have registered for the course. But I was told that if I was in arrears I would not be entitled to the tuition fee loan. I was told if I start paying it back I would be entitled to the tuition fee loan and no more. Is this true? Obviously I want to start paying it back but I can’t afford £50 a month (that I’ve been told by other people not SFE) as I am the sole earner in my household.

I log into my account and it doesn’t say on there about overpayment or arrears? Sorry I’m just worried and I just want to have a qualification that will better my circumstances. Thank you for your time!

Contact Student Finance and ask them

https://www.slc.co.uk/students-and-customers/contact-information-for-customers/loan-repayment-enquiries.aspx
  • Thanks for the Link....

One final Question, Does anyone know when your Child ceases to be a Dependent? Or what the definition of a Dependent is....

TIA
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure