Monthly Travelcard confusion

Hello
My son is about to start first job in London and we are confused about all the options for travel tickets. After loads of research He has decided to get an travelcard as he does go to different parts of london at the weekends and will start off with a monthly one until he passes his probation and then he can get an annual season ticket loan from work.
We are looking at Oyster Card or Southeastern The Key to load the ticket onto and can’t find anywhere to compare the difference between the two. Any experience of using these for season ticket?

Comments

• tiptoes27
    tiptoes27 Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My son was also thinking of getting an 18-25 railcard but I notice that if you buy an annual season ticket you get a gold card which gives discounted travel so is there any point having a railcard as well?
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Which stations is he going to be going from & to?

Depending on how far out he is then the oyster card might not take the season ticket for the mainline journey
  • tiptoes27
    tiptoes27 Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    He will be travelling from Orpington to London Charing Cross
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tiptoes27 wrote: »
    He will be travelling from Orpington to London Charing Cross
    An Oystercard or The Key are just the medium the ticket us held on. Orpington to London is wholly within London, so you're best off getting an Oystercard as that would be recognised on buses etc. Don't forget you can get odd period Travelcards for any period between a month and a year.
    A Railcard probably wouldn't be worth getting, as a minimum fare applies before 10.00
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    According to SouthEastern, you can load a TfL travelcard onto the Key so it can also be used on buses (I have not tested this...) You also get Selected offers from SouthEastern. So in theory the Key is better as long as you are likely to stick within their area.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure