signing up to new provider to get a good deal from current!

Thereamongus
Thereamongus Posts: 2 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 March 2019 at 5:44PM in Broadband & internet access
I'm currently with Virgin media for my broadband and telephone. Every year i haggle a good deal going all the way through to the last minute with cancellation threat. There being a pain this time around saying "leave" and no min last call so i was wondering could i sign up to new provider e.g BT and hope virgin will call offering a fantastic deal and they would cancel the order and number port for me? I was told by a virgin rep this is not possible anymore as virgin are not aloud to be involved or contact me when changing providers other than standard procedure because of offcom new rules! Is that{Edited by Forum Team} and could anyone give me anymore advice on blagging from them?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes do that but the risk is you lose the current phone number . Or VM say we dont want to offer you anything more goodbye.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I did that in october.

Moved to nowtv and requested number transfer (which is the important bit that ensures virgin get contacted).

Yes, they rang a couple of days later.

They couldn't match the £20/month though, unless I ditched the phone, so left. (had enough of them)

So if you are going to put in a switch request, make sure its someone you are happy to go with! After 14 days you can't cancel!
  • you could join BT via Topcash back,with the cashback and the BT gift card it works out almost free for your contract peroid.If your not happy with them your can leave your contract penality free at the next price rise and you get to keep your cashback and gift card.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    <.If your not happy with them your can leave your contract penality free at the next price rise>

That may no longer be true as all new contracts include agreement to increase prices .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure