Days out in Manchester

Hi guys,

I'm looking for ideas for family days out Manchester. I moved up from Leeds with my two young boys and my partner nearly 2 months ago, so still new to the area and want to save the pennies where we can.

We went to the Chill Factore over half term, great fun and wasn't that expensive either, but definitely a once a month more than a once a week thing. Any tips for me?

Comments

• We loved Chill Factore when we visited - have you done any of their Snow Fun events? Definitely worth it! I love the escape rooms in Manchester - they're great whatever the weather and there's so many to choose from across the city! Taking a walk around Media City is also great, and the Quays! That's a cheaper option!
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 February 2021 at 10:52PM
    There's the football museum (near Victoria) , and imperial war museum North on way to trafford centre). Plus I believe Old Trafford has a small museum (from seeing people queuing at tram stop with bags). Sadly not been to any of above yet myself as moved about 3 months before lockdown began last year.
    Also if you like walks, there is pictuesque countryside very nearby or along the many canals.
    If anyone has tips for places to visit I'd appreciate that too. 
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • TomokoAdhami
    TomokoAdhami Posts: 154 Forumite
    I would suggest visiting campsites and better to plan a complete camping trip. Hollybank Pods and Dovestone Holiday Park are the best in this regard. 
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Science & Industry Museum especially when the childrens activities and mill-working demonstrations are on.

Imperial War Museum opposite Salford Quays.

The BBC studios are in Salford Quays and hopefully will start putting on tours and recording live audience programmes again soon. 

Barton Aerodrome is good on a dry day, watching the aircraft come and go. There's a café and play area, when they can open. 
  • We also love visiting Salford Quays and walking around the water - they also have lovely markets there if you happen to be around on a Sunday?
  • Rohanm
    Rohanm Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've not been, but heard the Transport Museum is good? Lots of different vehicles there by the looks of things.
  • SeaVixen
    SeaVixen Posts: 221 Forumite
    Heaton Park is a good day out in summer! 

There's also lots of local festivals that run throughout the year, some are free and some are really good value for money. Prestwich Arts Festival is a good one
  • We love the Castlefield Viaduct High Line in summer - really good day out without being spendy. Also Chill Factore is always a fun one, a bit more of a treat but they tend to have offers on in the summer hols/half terms etc. We also visited Ordsall Hall for the first time recently and it was fantastic - such a great free day out for the kids.
  • Ozzig
    Ozzig Posts: 322 Forumite
    Another vote for MOSI plus if you like gaming they've got PowerUP on all through the holidays.
  • Ozzig
    Ozzig Posts: 322 Forumite
    Just realised the original ask was from 2019 ! :smiley:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills