Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Comments

• Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As JPears says it is when you are told of the cancellation not when the flight was actually cancelled and it is the airline's responsibility to inform you.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As JPears says it is when you are told of the cancellation not when the flight was actually cancelled and it is the airline's responsibility to inform you.

I agree *if* the airline had the passenger's contact details. If not, there is nobody to contact but the agent.
  • Justice13075
    If you mean for the airline to contact the agent to get the details and then contact the passenger I agree. If you are saying if the airline doesn't have the passengers details then it is up to the agent to contact the passenger then I disagree.
  • jpsartre
    An airline will use the contact details it has on the booking. It has no way of knowing if they are the details of the person travelling. I sometimes book flights for my wife using my email adrdress, obviously she would not be entitled to compensation just because I don't tell her about a flight cancellation that the airline informs me of months in advance.
  • Justice13075
    In an ideal world you have a fair point but as JPears has said this has already been established in the European Court that it is the responsibility of the Airline to notify the Passengers
  • jpsartre
    Yes, if they have the contact details. Do you honestly believe my wife would be awarded compensation by a judge because I didn't bother passing on information from the airline? I'm not a gambling man but that's something I would have no problem betting against.
  • Justice13075
    My mistake I always thought that when you book a flight you had to give names and addresses etc, of the people flying. Silly me
  • jpsartre
    You have to give the name of the person travelling but no other details (only details of the person making the booking).
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But the airline have the agents booking details. If the agent doesn't pass on the information, that's still no fault of the passenger.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • jpsartre
    Completely agree but you can't claim EU compensation from the agent. Some 3rd party sites unforunately have their reasons for deliberately withholding the passenger's details from the airline.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback