Joining British Army

Not sure if this the correct place, but if someone could point me in correct direction, it would be appreciated.

Someone I know has an army cadet son who wants to join full time. However, mum is a non national with right to remain, dad was Italian who died while son was toddler. Mum has never become a British citizen, but is financially unable to do so, steps are in hand to sort that out. In the meantime, all of the children have Italian passports, will that prevent her son from joining? Obviously, if the answer is no, we will need to try & help mum get her citizenship sooner than later, which will then allow her son to apply for British passport, apparently the army need sight of his passport?

TIA
A smile costs little but creates much :)

Comments

• You have not mentioned where M was from, so I have assumed not from the EU.

If mother had Indefinite Leave to Remain at the time of his birth, then he is eligible for British Citizenship.

If not, and mother & father were married at the time of his birth, then depending on when he was born (before 2 Oct 2000 or after 30 April 2006), there may be a claim through his father exercising Treaty Rights as a EU Citizen. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/374616/TreatyRightsPolicy.pdf
  • Think he will need to be a UK citizen for a certain length of time as well. Best bet is to contact local careers office for the official word.
  • Where was son born?
    Is son a UK national?
    Are they from a Commonwealth nation?
    How long has he been resident in the UK?

Parental nationality is not taken into account when joining the armed forces.

Depending on job role/branch he wants to join there may be difficulties gaining security clearances, but that is more likely to be a problem in the RAF or RN, as the junior ranks in those services are more likely to be involved with stuff that requires a security clearance or the more stringent DV (which looks into family as well)

The best advice is for him to go to a careers office and ask.

source.... I worked as a recruiter in an Armed Forces Careers Office for 4 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure