Best places to stay in North Wales

I'd like to visit North Wales in the summer and would like recommendations on places to stay. I'd like to visit Snowdonia (possibly climbing Snowdon), and also visit some of the castles, but I think I'd like to stay on the coast. I was thinking of Llandudno, Caernarfon or Porthmadog. Which of these do you think would be best for a family, in terms of:

- Attractiveness of the town and local things to do
- Good places to eat
- Accessibility to the rest of the region
- Nice beaches
- Attractive local scenery (cliffs, walks etc)

Alternatively, we could stay in Snowdonia itself - Betws-y-Coed seems like a popular choice. What would this be like?

Comments

• Porthmadog is a lovely town. We have stayed at the Haven Greenacres site which is great for families and has direct beach access. Lovely part of Wales you cant really go wrong. Everywhere you would wish to visit is no more than a 45 min drive.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks, but I'd rather not stay in a caravan - I think the kids would finish me off for good. A nice big house is what I need these days.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I can recommend https://www.menaiholidays.co.uk/home/ for houses anywhere in the area Llyn Peninsula/Snowdonia/Anglesey. I wouldn't recommend staying in Caernarfon - not much there apart from the castle. It was looking a bit run down last year.
    Criccieth is just down the road from Porthmadog, nice little town with two beaches and a castle. Good for a base.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Llandudno for me.....and thanks to the Mostyn Family for making and keeping the place like it is. You can't beat a walk around the Great Orme on a bracing day looking out to sea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure