PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can i accept a higher offer, after already accepting?

Basically, my property is up for sale. A potential buyer offered the full asking price, which i accepted. Two weeks later she pulls out (after i've instructed solicitors, and started all the paper work).

Then for two months i didn't hear anything (had one other viewing, but nothing came of it). Then last week, the buyer comes back and makes another offer, this time 5% under my asking price.

My estate agents negotiate a bit with her, and get the offer up a bit, but still slightly under my asking price/her original offer. I'm getting desperate to sell, so i accept.

My estate agent notes that she has flaked in the past, and suggests they keep the property on the market until they receive the relevant paperwork from her.

Anyway, i had another viewing yesterday, and he has offered the full asking price. Can i accept his offer, despite already accepting hers?

I know this isn't the done thing and is generally frowned upon, but... 1. She flaked on me the last time, then came back two months later with a lower offer, so she may very well do it again; and 2. the new buyer is an investor, which means he is more likely to have the money and will likely have more experience and knowledge of the whole process, hopefully reducing delays/problems.

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes you can of course do this. You can do whatever you want until contracts are exchanged. Whilst it's normally frowned upon for moral reasons in this case this would seem to be a case of what's sauce for the goose etc and I would accept the new AP offer as long as you are convinced the new bidder is reliable.
  • Given the lower offer messed you round last time, I'd 100% pull out and take the higher offer on that basis
  • Yes but your lawyer would deal with one buyer only
  • I would be wary of the investor though. They tend to regard the process purely as a business transaction and are quite likely to drop their offer at the last minute in order to maximise their profit.
  • Yes you can. A vendor did exactly the same to us last year and we were devastated, so try to think how you may feel if it were done to you.

I also agree with the other poster who said beware of investors. Our buyer last year was a complete pain in the proverbial all the way to completion...and afterwards.
  • Badger50 wrote: »
    I would be wary of the investor though. They tend to regard the process purely as a business transaction and are quite likely to drop their offer at the last minute in order to maximise their profit.

This is common practice for an investor. I've known it happen to someone just a few hours before contracts were exchanged.
    Having said that, it could happen with any buyer but less likely with someone buying it to live in as they will have all the emotions and upheaval that goes with buying a home rather than a building.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    JoJo1978 wrote: »
    Yes you can. A vendor did exactly the same to us last year and we were devastated, so try to think how you may feel if it were done to you.

I think the situations are different, assuming you didn’t also withdraw your offer then come back two months later with a reduced one. To me it doesn’t sound like this buyer deserves much in the way of empathy or sympathy.

An investor might be tricky but the current buyer is confirmed to be tricky.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In this scenario, I'd probably go with the 2nd buyer. Just be upfront that last-minute guzundering won't be tolerated.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    maxley88 wrote: »
    the new buyer is an investor, which means he is more likely to have the money and will likely have more experience and knowledge of the whole process, hopefully reducing delays/problems.

More likely to back you into a corner I'd say.......

Particularly an investor that offers full asking price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure