Dispute with roofer

2»

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    seems they paid the first payment in cash

Ohh ok. That's why I prefer cheque, direct transfer or a receipt.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Just stand your ground and tell him he is wrong. Roofers aren’t the brightest of people plus they have bundles of cash from loads of different jobs he probably mixed up your money with someone else’s.

He won’t take you to court or rip your roof off it will expose him to the fact he’s asking for cash which they never declare.

Just use the force and tell him again and again he’s had the money. It should get through.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    docmatt wrote: »
    Just stand your ground and tell him he is wrong. Roofers aren’t the brightest of people plus they have bundles of cash from loads of different jobs he probably mixed up your money with someone else’s.

He won’t take you to court or rip your roof off it will expose him to the fact he’s asking for cash which they never declare.

Just use the force and tell him again and again he’s had the money. It should get through.

Unbelievable!
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2017 at 11:40AM
    I had a friend who was in the roofers position, although it was for the total cost of the job not an installment and took the customer to court.

The customer claimed they had paid in cash and had bank statements to prove cash being withdrawn. The court found in favour of the customer and my friend was left unpaid for the work. Serves him right really he was a bit of a wally.

On the strength of that I think the OP is in a very strong position. By accepting cash and not issuing receipts the roofer could appear to be unprofessional and an unreliable witness so it will depend on who is most believable in court on the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure