PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unwelcome tenant.

Options

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,644 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I'm used to hearing about 18yo guys with 17yo girls and ending up on the register. That's all. It's nothing to do with my thought processes.

And I know it's only 'alleged' but the OP sounds pretty sure of it. The rumours alone would be enough for me to want this tenant out immediately.

16 is the age of consent in UK, but the above scenario could occur if the 18yo is in a position of trust to the 17yo as that would be an offence
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I appreciate not wanting to live next to or rent to a sex offender (who has served his time, apparently), and sex crimes disgust me as much as the next person, but realistically (former) criminals of all stripes have to live somewhere and a tenancy is a business arrangement.

Making them homeless or giving them an unstable life by terminating tenancies as soon as such a history is discovered is not likely to help them rehabilitate. Much the opposite.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Op still hasnt said how him and his neighbors know he is a convicted sex offender.

Some of you on here shoud be ashamed of yourselves, judging people willy nilly
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is the urban myth true that someone who does a moony as a drunken prank can end up with a sex offence conviction? Probably an indecent exposure conviction.

Someone (forgot who sorry) above said something about most of us could have had some sort of conviction if all our actions and deeds were known. Probably right. But it depends what they have done. If kids sending each other pictures on smart phones were all included I bet the current generation of youngsters are much more likely to be offenders, if not convicted. Would a 15yr old lad and girl sharing pictures render themselves unsuitable as tenants 5 years later?

Much as I wouldn't like a tenant (or neighbour) with any criminal convictions, let alone a sex offender, the UK had about 80,000 sex offenders convicted last year. If you think how many in the last 10 or 20 years, then we probably all have one somewhere close to our home.

Course it could be a dreadful predator and everyone's worst nightmare, but they all move to North Wales I think. (awaits backlash)...
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 October 2017 at 5:56PM
    Options
    If I have choice between the ops tenant of what they heard/claim and my last neighbour (her social circle) hanging around, i prefer OP.

I know going off topic, but another example of a pathetic sentence, should be life begins bars and no appeal of parole.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2017 at 6:07PM
    Options

Course it could be a dreadful predator and everyone's worst nightmare, but they all move to North Wales I think. (awaits backlash)...

You wouldnt be the author of "that" blog would you?:eek::eek: That sounds like one of his theme tunes:cool:

EDIT; Whew! One quick google later and I see you mention you used to be a student (ie went to University). That's a relief - as he hasnt been to University ever.
  • writer5
    writer5 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lynz68 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware you can't do a criminal record check on anybody anyway. So asking a potential tenant about criminal history they can just lie.

I would be very careful of labelling someone a sex offender without confirmed proof not just gossip.

If the neighbours have concerns they should raise them with local police who can check his background and make sure he is OK to live in that area.

Not all sex offenders are child abusers the offences covered by the legislation are wide and varied.

True- you can't do a criminal records check, but what you can do is to put the name in Google and search news. Anything noteworthy will show up there.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

I would think North Wales is just about the last place in the UK they'd go, knowing how those in Welsh villages all know each other's business and take a strong interest in every new resident.

I think Dylan Thomas wrote something.....;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Okay Dave - you can't leave that one hanging in the air.

What did Dylan Thomas write? You gotta quote it now....:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport