PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants more money

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me the advantage to the OP of NOT explaining to the agent that the OP is sticking to the 12 months contract term?

Because the agent is just some bloke. Entering a discussion with them has literally no benefit.

They provided the contract initially, if they don't understand what that means they are hardly going to be any use...
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    The OP has already pointed out to the letting agent that there is a 12 month fixed term in place. What more needs pointing out to them? They are the ones who drafted the the contract after all.

Has she? Making it clear she rejects the 6 months amendment? In writing? That's fine then. Sorry if I missed it.

I have acted in nearly 1000 cases over the last 25 years, and I have no doubt that it's always a good idea to keep the judge sweet. Sorry if others think that's manure. I'll bow to their greater experience of how the law works in practice.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    I explained to shelter that we had an assured shorthold tenancy for 365days signed by both parties.
    I tried to upload the tenancy on here however can't seem to do it on the phone.

When the estate agent called we explained that we had a signed tenancy and she said she needed to see what rights the landlord has and us!
    I have not rejected the 6month contract in writing as we had the 12month one signed by both parties.
  • Comms69
    Has she? Making it clear she rejects the 6 months amendment? In writing? That's fine then. Sorry if I missed it.

I have acted in nearly 1000 cases over the last 25 years, and I have no doubt that it's always a good idea to keep the judge sweet. Sorry if others think that's manure. I'll bow to their greater experience of how the law works in practice.
    Any of those at all related to evictions?

You are suggesting this is an amendment; but as someone with 25 years legal experience you would know that a contract requires express agreement.
  • Comms69
    Jm90 wrote: »
    I explained to shelter that we had an assured shorthold tenancy for 365days signed by both parties.
    I tried to upload the tenancy on here however can't seem to do it on the phone.

When the estate agent called we explained that we had a signed tenancy and she said she needed to see what rights the landlord has and us!
    I have not rejected the 6month contract in writing as we had the 12month one signed by both parties.

You literally have people here who can advise you without having to google it- which is what the agent is no doubt doing. ( and will no doubt quote the law out of context - e.g. ground 1 requiring possession for the purpose of residing )- but you do t seem to want to act upon anything anyone is saying.
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    No i do, i apologise if it seems that way at all, i was just explaining what was said to shelter & also the person who asked if i rejected the 6 month contract in writing as i didn't.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2018 at 4:24PM

Why would the OP have to write to the letting agent rejecting their amendment when she has a 12 month fixed term signed by both parties? As someone who claims to have extensive experience in the law you should know that one party cannot unilaterally change the contract. Then again you were a landlord asking about how much notice a tenant has to give less than a year ago. Burn!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Any of those at all related to evictions?

You are suggesting this is an amendment; but as someone with 25 years legal experience you would know that a contract requires express agreement.

And the agent will, quite possibly, lie through his teeth. "I spoke to Mrs OP, and she said she was happy with the 6 months amendment, so I altered the contract. She said she had lost her copy, so I could not alter that. Am I sure of that? 100%, Sir! And here's my file note of the conversation."

It's still worse if the agent produces the recording of the conversation where he asks the OP if it's okay to amend the contract and she says "I suppose so."

Or the agent may have sent the contract to the tenant with a letter saying specifically that it was not yet approved by the LL and they could only exchange contracts subject to that approval.

Cases are never 100%. That's the challenge of litigation. Far better to avoid it.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    And the agent will, quite possibly, lie through his teeth. "I spoke to Mrs OP, and she said she was happy with the 6 months amendment, so I altered the contract. She said she had lost her copy, so I could not alter that. Am I sure of that? 100%, Sir! And here's my file note of the conversation."

It's still worse if the agent produces the recording of the conversation where he asks the OP if it's okay to amend the contract and she says "I suppose so."

Or the agent may have sent the contract to the tenant with a letter saying specifically that it was not yet approved by the LL and they could only exchange contracts subject to that approval.

Cases are never 100%. That's the challenge of litigation. Far better to avoid it.

Please stop. You are just embarrassing yourself and possibly confusing the OP.
  • GDB2222 wrote: »

This is total crap. I very much doubt you have been involved in 1000 cases unless it’s to file them.

OP please do not take any notice of this user. Pixie (although blunt) and GM are your best resources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure