PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 October 2010 at 1:33PM
    triticale wrote: »
    ... I really enjoyed last month, I made batches and batches of walnut oat cookies and choc orange muffins, hm sausage rolls, pies, hm yorkshire puddings which were fab, pancakes, hm pizzas and wedges, never bought a single chocolate biscuit or savoury snackfood, no ready meals or frozen potato products.

First on my November shopping list is FLOUR! LOADS of it, SR, plain and strong!!:rotfl:

well done, tritacale! it all sounds lush, any recipes you could share with us please? ;)

adelight - your comment made me :D too

welcome to the GC Mollina Girl :hello:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Did my last October shop last night, so my first GC month (November) starts today :-)

I was paying more attention at MrT's over the last few weeks, and was reminded again how misleading a lot of the special offers are. Last week I nearly but not quite bought a pumpkin when they were priced at 75p each. It might have even been 50p each. Last night with Halloween just about here & the store full of kiddies in fancy dress begging their parents for toffee apples et al, there are huge "special offer" signs - 2 pumpkins for £3! :mad: So they're twice the price, and it's a good deal. They are experts in marketing, I'll give them that! Sorry, just needed to rant!

It's surprisingly easy to be taken in by an apparently good offer like this - there are only so many prices I can carry in my head. Any tips for it? Or does it just come naturally once you've been doing the GC for a while?? Maybe I should carry a printout of my prices spreadsheet at all times, but it seems a bit over the top!

On the plus side I was proud of myself when I narrowly avoided buying some BOGOF chocolate orange :A. It would have been a bargain - but only until I pig the lot in one night :rotfl:
  • Just updated sig.....£9.30 spent at Sainsburys on Milk, bread, cooked meat, sausage rolls and butter.
    Mum to 3 gorgeous kids

Hoping to have a better year this year.

RIP Dad 8/9/10 and Grandma 2/11/10 My special Angels:A:A
  • Hello All

Can you please put me down for £150 for November. I'm a newbie who needs to get all expensditure down - particulary groceries so this is great for me.

Many thansk and a great weekend to all of you.
  • nellis10
    nellis10 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 October 2010 at 2:40PM
    LOL its not even November yet and already nearly 100 posts in this.

I'd like to join this....I'm heading for £300 on Groceries, Household and Clothes, and hoping to add a couple of Chrimbo things in too if I can find the bargains!!

Did my first ever Mr T online shop/delivery and spent £75 (including £10 off first order), but they sent 5 instead of 6 bottles of wine (I got 2 sets of 3 for £12), so phoned CS and they refunded £4 plus gave me a £5 coupon for my next shop.

The £75 shop included toiletries and household, so hopefully set for the month.

Also started a weekly Veg Box delivery for £9 plus fortnightly eggs and onions...so that should cut down on the need to go to Mr T's too often!!

Should I include last night's delivery in my November total as it will come out today which is payday and it's for November's use...or should I wait for an actual spend in November????

There are 3 of us Me, DH and DS(6) so £300 should be adequate if not more for us this month...That's £10 a day
    2024 Challenges
    • Grocery Budget (January £0/£300)
    • Decluttering (Underway!)
    • Frugal Living (January £0/£500
    • 24 in 2024 (0/24)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Put me down for £350 for November. I came in under budget for October budget at £231 out of £240. I am increasing as we have Eid this month. How much do people normally increase for Christmas? Being Muslim we don't buy any alcohol, so that makes a massive difference I would think!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • nellis10
    nellis10 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Put me down for £350 for November. I came in under budget for October budget at £231 out of £240. I am increasing as we have Eid this month. How much do people normally increase for Christmas? Being Muslim we don't buy any alcohol, so that makes a massive difference I would think!

I reckon my December is going to be £750 to include all Christmas Dinner Items plus pressies. It might even be more, but I've already got a few pressies set aside for DS, just a couple of biggies to go, and of course DH to buy for - he wants gadgets...but gadgets are only good if they are useful...so my thinking cap is on!!!

I've got some wine in already but also need to do a wee alcohol run in Nov/Dec for when my parents come for Christmas, there will be at least 5 at the table this year!:T
    2024 Challenges
    • Grocery Budget (January £0/£300)
    • Decluttering (Underway!)
    • Frugal Living (January £0/£500
    • 24 in 2024 (0/24)
  • MrsRogers
    MrsRogers Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Evening all

Well I have just returned from Mr T and am so annoyed with myself ...

Had a voucher at home £7 off £70 but when calculated my list was quite a bit under so typically left it at home..

DH decided to come with me purchased some beer for the weekend which would have taken us to bang on £70 so I could have saved £7 :mad:

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free :j

I Quit Smoking March 2010 :T
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Spent £36.08 so far. This includes beer for DH, formula for DS and biscuits for the builders. They haven't eaten many so I will have to make sure they get finshed:whistle: Also a chippie tea last night when I had no oven or hob.

DH wages are still all over the place with his new job and this is the lowest one he has had in the last 3 months so I need to spend as little as possible as we are about £300 short of what we need this month and I do not want to dip into the savings if I can help it.:(

I signed up to the store cupboard challenge but haven't made much inroads as I have had no kitchen, been in A&E after nearly cutting my finger off and been laid low with a stomach bug. What a week!:rotfl:

We are off to Mr M tonight to make use of a £5 voucher DH found in the paper someone left at his work (the training is working;)). I hardly need any food stuffs but will take advantage of the beer offer and get some formula and dog food.

Off to catch up with the thread:)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    something a bit weird but did make me laugh - browsing through my 'usuals' on the sainsbugs website, it showed me having bought:

Scholl Seal and Heal Verruca Gel 5ml
    Pregnacare Capsules x30
    Pregnancy and Birth magazine

now I only shop for myself, I've never had a verruca in my life nor bought the remedy for one and its closing 40 years since I was last pregnant :D apparently it was a 'technical fault' on the website :undecided

anyone else had this?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills