Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Comments

• brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 April 2018 at 7:53AM
    hello :wave: - lovely to see you.. thanks for popping by.
    Yes I knew the bungalow inheritance was not you...:) but am sure Co. Durham has far better views than Cambridgeshire :) (I know it has lovely countryside too, but the NE is VERY special)
    It was a good article, and excellent to see FIRE written about in the mainstream press as you say. Otherwise it remains a quirky sideline rather than one that gets a regular airing. I have been replotting and replanning ever since, also encouraged by a good read of XSpender's diary :D

So the scores on the doors....:)

YES

We saved a whopping 25.2% in March. Go us...

And we put that 'surplus' against the debt and a bit of a refilling of pots. Wish it had been into the ISA or the EF.

BUT....(there is always a 'but' on Brizzle's diaries :o) this month looks tight. Very tight if I am to repay a large card in full later this month. But I am determined to do it, so we shall. We SHALL.

I have therefore done a money shuffle, shifted everything about and made £100 payments to various cards to make sure a good payment is made each. I need to do much better on LSDs ( £20 max. and both me and OH count) and NSDs (nothing at all). Spending less and saving more is the key. I know this so need to just do it.

Last month, decluttering was woeful. About 10 things. AFDs though I aced it. I stopped counting at 20 :):)

On the spends though we do need to think carefully about our weak spots which as ever are holidays and food. We 'only' ate out twice, both cheaply, but to make ourselves feel better - mid week as we were all shattered and the kids loved it. but food was still £600 this month and thats where it generally is. Sometimes less but sometimes more. OK we buy organic meat, milk fruit and veg, but even so. Its a lot for 5 of us and 2 cats (and sadly no chooks (we will get more but Mrs Fox had a prize dinner the other night :( ) Work in progress and eating more veggie meals will help.

Also in the spendy category, we also brought musical tickets for everyone for a Xmas present for PIL. We had new clothes and the bill for the kids trips (as you know) is whopping. DD2 is also now entered for a dance exam...the list goes on. But in their case we are so grateful they still do exercise and love trying new things. Its an essential and makes a break from all the screen time. Things that also helped were no water bills, no CT bill etc.

So thats it. Miserable day here today. Worse than yesterday. Planning on doing some work whilst people are still sleeping. Good use of my time and raises the top line of the Brizzle household a tad :) Afterwards I will set my face to April and set some new goals

Hope everyone is OK. Much love from me x
  • Brizzle we could be the same person, April is duck bottom tight for me and hols and food are certainly the weakness in the PWPS household, Sadly our chooks had a run in with Charlie fox a few months ago and we havn't replaced them as I found it really upsetting and was very attached to them, DH has found a hen hutch door that is ran off solar power that opens and shuts automatically so at least when we are out for the evening they would be safe at dusk, but its quite expensive!
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • brizzlegirl
    Oh PWPS, so sorry to hear that :( I agree dusk is the worse time. I think ours were nailed at about 4:30 as OH came home to find decapitated hens at nearer 6. It was our fault that we had a hole in the door and OH insisted they would be fine...on this occasion they weren't. However I am determined that we get some more..I love the fresh eggs and using up the scraps. Just a pain as they were still laying well and each new POL standard will be about £20+ I suspect.

Duck bottom tight is the way to describe it!! With you on your journey. I have to get shot of two cards in April and May otherwise I will scream. Got up early to do some work so thats a gain at least. But I would be so so rich and nearer FIRE if I just spent less :i
  • brizzlegirl
    edited 3 April 2018 at 11:59AM
    So..Brizzlegirl's April Goals coming up...

I have decided on the following:

- keep the saving target the same and see if I can achieve 25% two month running. It may happen especially if I know I have to effectively divert the 25% savings into paying off the last 2 holiday cards by early May (one this month and the other early next, its to do with when we get our main income streams).
    - I need to exercise most days, so thats a new target. Anything that gets the heart rate up for over 20 minutes ;) will count
    - need to declutter again so will try again for 60 items, and anything from the family counts so watch out kids and OH :rotfl:
    - Need to get some LSDs and NSDs under my belt for a few months. Real laser focus needed
    - use TCB when I can to get the sales total up as well as Bay of E when I can
    - AFDs...lets see but I can only try. 15 was easy last month :)

Onwards and upwards :)

Love to all xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Yes, You CAN do it :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,246 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Very impressed as always :) Can you bottle your willpower and sell it?
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • brizzlegirl
    edited 3 April 2018 at 10:30PM
    Love you two SO much :kiss: thanks SA and Beanie!

So today worked half day and went for a long walk and a run so 2 sessions maybe? I am aiming for 30. Also realise we did a long walk - 5 hours on Sunday so thats three already.. call it 10% complete - whoop :T

Lush tea. Omelettes for adults and HM burgers and chips for kids. All fridge and freezer stuff.

Thanks for the good wishes. We can and WILL do this :D
  • brizzlegirl
    edited 3 April 2018 at 10:29PM
    First run in 6 weeks.. have missed it. Going again tomorrow as when off work it is super easy to get out
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Oooh not had an omlette in ages :drool:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    hello :wave: - lovely to see you.. thanks for popping by.
    Yes I knew the bungalow inheritance was not you...:) but am sure Co. Durham has far better views than Cambridgeshire :) (I know it has lovely countryside too, but the NE is VERY special)
    It was a good article, and excellent to see FIRE written about in the mainstream press as you say. Otherwise it remains a quirky sideline rather than one that gets a regular airing. I have been replotting and replanning ever since, also encouraged by a good read of XSpender's diary :D
    It does remain a quirky sideline, but I'm going to try and keep mentioning it to get people talking about it :) and yes, the NE is wonderful.

Good luck on your aims!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure