PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing leaded glass in uPVC to plain wouldn't put buyers off, right?

Comments

• kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'd never even look at a house with diamond leaded windows UPVC windows.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's an easy enough job to DIY, that way the only cost is for the double-glazing units.
  • Stratus
    Stratus Posts: 254
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are the leaded parts not just pieces of plastic stuck on to the glazing unit?

Our units had fake white glazing bars stuck on the inside and outside which just prised off with a screwdriver and the adhesive residue was cleaned up with silicone sealant remover and a sharp blade.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I wouldn't pass on a good property that ticked other boxes simply because of awful, fake leaded lights.

When house-buying, it's the whole package that counts, not individual bits of detail. The immutable elements should be the first consideration, and if one can get those important ducks in line, then naff windows come somewhere between, "ghastly shell style bathroom suite" and "artexed dining room" in terms of importance.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    My house was built in the 1930s. Each house on the road is different. When we moved in the windows were single glazed wood but with mock diamond shaped lead. They were not the originals and drafty in places. We wanted to replace with upvc double glazing for warmth but couldn't afford to do all at once, so we felt we had to do what we could to maintain the least difference between the windows. Now they are all upvc double glazed with fake lead diamonds.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    One of the guys who came to quote said he does more jobs changing plain to leaded! I know leaded is more expensive - is it seen as 'better'?
    I think it is a case not so much of 'better' as what suits the building. In architecture very small details can make a very big difference to the overall appearance of a house - architects can spend hours debating the fenestration ;)

The mock leaded windows are part of the whole mock-Tudor look, changing the windows to non-leaded may make no difference, or it might make the building subtly less (or more?) attractive. As other houses nearby have already converted to plain glass you could get an idea of the effect.... but if you don't like leaded windows to start with you may be slightly biased towards appreciating those that have been changed to plain glass. :)

Personally I'd go with ReadingTim's suggestion and start by changing some of the windows where they are less noticable and see how you feel about it.

Another solution might be to buy a small garden shed (if you don't have spare storage space) and ask the glass fitter to quote for fitting new plain units, but not disposing of the old ones - which you then put into the new shed and keep until you come to sell. That way you could tell any potential purchasers that if they prefer leaded windows they could easily get the old ones refitted ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I wouldn't pass on a good property that ticked other boxes simply because of awful, fake leaded lights.

When house-buying, it's the whole package that counts, not individual bits of detail. The immutable elements should be the first consideration, and if one can get those important ducks in line, then naff windows come somewhere between, "ghastly shell style bathroom suite" and "artexed dining room" in terms of importance.

What I want to know is when you came to view my house, and why you are being so rude about it :mad: ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    What I want to know is when you came to view my house, and why you are being so rude about it :mad: ;)

Whoops! :o Sorry, I didn't realise you lived in that house!:eek:
    As I recall, it was at the bottom of a steep north facing slope, with a boggy garden, an A class road just behind and a refuse transfer station dominating the main view.

However, it was the mock marble fireplace with artificial coals from B&Q that turned us against it.....well, that and the fancy flower transfers on the shell suite itself. Euurrgghh! _pale_
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Whoops! :o Sorry, I didn't realise you lived in that house!:eek:
    As I recall, it was at the bottom of a steep north facing slope, with a boggy garden, an A class road just behind and a refuse transfer station dominating the main view.

However, it was the mock marble fireplace with artificial coals from B&Q that turned us against it.....well, that and the fancy flower transfers on the shell suite itself. Euurrgghh! _pale_

But in its defence, the gold plated taps and toilet complimented the avocado bathroom suite perfectly... And you must have gone to quite some effort to get those all mirrors onto the bedroom ceiling...
  • Hope you're okay with a genuine limestone fireplace Dave?:D:rotfl:That cost good money that did.....:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure