When sharing the expenses 50/50, isn't 50/50.

Hi all,

So I co own my home with my father, we split the bills 50/50, although there have been numerous times my father has "accidentally" charged me more for a bill and pocketed the cash for himself, so I make a point of going over what we have coming in, vs going out.

We have lodgers in our home to take care of all the bills and mortgage.

The problem I'm faced with right now and it's been an issue for a while, is when an item of expense, such as an appliance, needs to be replaced.

When an appliance is coming to the end of it's life, I replace it before it breaks down, because we have lodgers, they need to be able to wash their clothes, cook their meals and of course keep their food frozen/fresh in the fridge freezers they each have.

So I've basically been the one who's bought ALL the appliances in the house, the oven, the dishwasher, the washing machine, the tumble dryer, the two fridge freezers for the lodgers and my dad didn't offer to pay anything towards the cost of any of them.

And anytime he does offer to replace something that's broken down completely, he always buys it as cheap as possible and rarely, if ever, brand new, it's always second hand crap that's dented/damaged and never lasts more than a few months.

So now our washing machine's bearings are going, it's 8 years old, is used by 4 people, so it has done pretty well.

But it cost me around £700 and I've mentioned four times now that it needs to be replaced, but he hasn't offered to buy one, or asked me to help him buy one, he just shrugs it off.

And I know what's going to happen, it will break down, like the fridge freezer and he will go and spend £100 on a defunct, damaged one from a local shop which deals with damaged second hand goods, then it will last 6 months, tops a year, then he'll expect me to buy the next one.

It just drives me nuts.

Comments

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2018 at 8:51AM
    Dad, I need you to give me £450 towards the new washing machine!!!

Or set up an account with direct debits every month from each of you to cover such expenses.
    This situation is grossly unfair and it sounds like your father is taking advantage of your softer nature and more cautious and sensible attitude.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    You need to sit down with your father and have a formal discussion about how you're going to manage your joint responsibilities as landlords.

While it may seem domestic between you and your father, it is actually a business where you are charging people for a service. A professional approach should be taken.

At the end of your discussion, you need to agree on:

1.What facilities you are providing your lodgers

2.What standard of facilities you will offer, which can be reflected in their payments

3.How expenses will be financed between you any your father. Does it have to be 50/50 if your father can't afford the standards you agree upon? Could you pay more for a greater return?

It may be helpful to actually get this down on paper to focus your thoughts.

It seems the two of you have very different approaches to this at present, and problems are occurring every time it comes up, with you doing what you think is right, and your father the same, then getting frustrated when the other doesn't want to go along with it.

It needs to be agreed properly, if only for the benefit of your lodgers who are entitled to a consistent approach to the facilities they are paying for.

Put your hands up.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'd compromise on the cost of the equipment if you want him to go half - second hand at £100 is inadequate but £700 for a new washing machine is unnecessarily expensive. At least try to get him to pay £130/£150 as half of a typical machine - if you choose to pay top dollar it's unreasonable to expect him to pay half so you should make up the difference.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,841 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When the rent is paid you should have a replacement / repair account and t his should be topped up each month so that you don!!!8217;t need to discuss who pays the joint repair account pays!
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Agree with Detroit, your home is a business, you and your father are joint directors. Your income comes from lodgers so if it is meant to cover all outgoing expenses you need to keep account books. There should be a business bank account where all money in and out is recorded. Any money spent on updating appliances should be discussed between the two of you and a price agreed before the item is bought. That's how I see it.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You need to sit down and set up a maintenance budget for daily, weekly, monthly and yearly expenses.

e.g. Washing machine £500 every 7 years, freezer £300 every 10 years, toilet roll £4/week.

List ALL items that are used in a spreadsheet, decide between you costs and realistic life spans, then work out on average how much per MONTH this will cost. Put this money into a separate account e.g. Both pay £40/month.

I suggest YOU manage it.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You have multiple threads about the issues you have living with your father. Why don't you just sell the property and go your separate ways? IIRC part of the mortgage is interest only so unless you've got a plan to repay the capital you'll be forced to sell eventually anyway.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2018 at 4:20PM
    I knew this sorted too familiar:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5741798

Best off selling.

As a quick check there are 71 washing machines brand new in Currys under £300.
  • AdamPD
    AdamPD Posts: 206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    You have multiple threads about the issues you have living with your father. Why don't you just sell the property and go your separate ways? IIRC part of the mortgage is interest only so unless you've got a plan to repay the capital you'll be forced to sell eventually anyway.

I know, I'm just trying to make it work here you know? I don't want to sell because when he dies (IF he eventually gets his will sorted), his share will pass to me.

This house was bought for 180k and the estimate of it's value now is almost 300k.

So it'll be an investment at the end of the day

I'm hoping to remortgage next year when I have 3 years of self employment books/accounts behind me, because I'll have enough (hopefully) to remortgage and remove both of them (legally I should say!)

I'll have to strike up a deal with him and the uncle to remove them I'm sure, but if they aren't interested, then yea, I'll push to sell.

Many thanks for the advice and support from you all, though.
  • AdamPD
    AdamPD Posts: 206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But as far as selling goes, he won't want to sell, because that means he will have to get a flat and pay the bills by himself.

He's grown accustomed to having lodgers paying all his bills for him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure