We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Poor Geoffrey :(

Found her in the front garden there this afternoon, standing on one leg

Went to get her and she was covered in blood, looks like she's been hit by a car :(

How she even got near a road I don't know. The garden is secure to the front. To get to a road she would have needed to have gone over two fields at the back. To have turned up at the front of the house she would then have to have walked along a fast main road, past the fella on the corner and on up to ours, how would she have even known what was our house??

So anyways we thought we were going to have to do the deed, but on closer inspection its just her middle toe thats mangled, she has full movement in the leg and the other toes. So we have cleaned her up, splinted the toe and have her in a box in the garage. She dived straight into the food so fingers crossed she makes it

She's a right character, we have had her a good while. I no longer name the hens, she's one of the few that has one
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Poor Geoffrey :(

Found her in the front garden there this afternoon, standing on one leg

Went to get her and she was covered in blood, looks like she's been hit by a car :(

How she even got near a road I don't know. The garden is secure to the front. To get to a road she would have needed to have gone over two fields at the back. To have turned up at the front of the house she would then have to have walked along a fast main road, past the fella on the corner and on up to ours, how would she have even known what was our house??

So anyways we thought we were going to have to do the deed, but on closer inspection its just her middle toe thats mangled, she has full movement in the leg and the other toes. So we have cleaned her up, splinted the toe and have her in a box in the garage. She dived straight into the food so fingers crossed she makes it

She's a right character, we have had her a good while. I no longer name the hens, she's one of the few that has one
    Oh dear! Poor little love.

Give her a cuggle from me.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• suki1964
    Options
    Oh I found that picture of the girls having a sneaky play one the slide :)

IMG_2121.jpg
  • Pyxis
    Options
    So, what does "wheeeeeeee!" sound like in Cluck? :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• suki1964
    Options
    Geoffrey Im afraid is no longer with us :(
  • Pyxis
    Options

Oh. :(:(:(

That's so very sad. :(
    Gone to the Great Coop in the sky. :(

However, she had a wonderful life with you Suki, in hen paradise on Earth, so no hen could ask for more.
    You did her proud.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• suki1964
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Oh. :(:(:(

That's so very sad. :(
    Gone to the Great Coop in the sky. :(

However, she had a wonderful life with you Suki, in hen paradise on Earth, so no hen could ask for more.
    You did her proud.

Well I hope she had a happy life, a better life then a farm chicken at any rate

Thats 3 we have lost this year. Ive told Mr Suki we aren't replacing now, let these ones live their lives out and thats it

I don't like animals dying, even though I know they must, I kind of distance myself and don't allow myself to feel, unfortunately every time one goes, I disconnect more from the rest
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Well I hope she had a happy life, a better life then a farm chicken at any rate

Thats 3 we have lost this year. Ive told Mr Suki we aren't replacing now, let these ones live their lives out and thats it

I don't like animals dying, even though I know they must, I kind of distance myself and don't allow myself to feel, unfortunately every time one goes, I disconnect more from the rest

I've had many animals over the years, and felt a loss every time one of them died. Some a lot, lot more than others. The worst of all being one particular hamster, one particular cat, and by far the worst were my dogs.

However, the way I look at it is this: the absolute joy they give me when they are with me outweighs the appalling grief I feel when they die. That grief is terrible, but it does slowly subside, whereas the memory of the joy they gave me never does subside.

You gotta bear the troughs to have the highs. I'd rather have both than be a flatliner! :A
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

Aww bless her. That is so sad and such a shame. :(

I am sure she had a much better life with you Suki than having a farm life. :)

Take care

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    So sorry Suki
    You gave her more than she ever expected.x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts