Dealership lied about service history!!!

So...it’s service time on my car, but it’s also time to sell said car as I need to use the finance payment on a house. Gets a quote to settle the finance. Gets a quote to sell back to the garage I bought it....

I take it and they as for the documents which have been say in my glove box, untouched since I bought it one year to the day......

No service record. Errrr but we bought it with a FSH......

“I’m sorry but our system says it has no service history so is only worth half the value we quoted you....”

So basically, where do I stand?. I categorically was told it had FSH, I was sold it at the market value with a service history. The finance company I’m assuming would assume this too as it’s a £20k car they’ve financed

Help!!!

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do you have a copy of the advert that says it has FSH? It may be stored on your computer somewhere.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    At the moment it seems to be a case of your word against theirs. Do you have any prove that it was sold with a FSH, and also why haven't you had it serviced in the time you've owned it?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,968
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    And why didn't you check the service book before you bought it?
  • No unfortunately not, it was apparently just taken in as a part ex so we saw it as we passed by!
  • They handed me the leather book holder and very proudly declared here’s your service history. I assumed that being the biggest car retailer in the U.K. they’d not lie!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Angus22 wrote: »
    They handed me the leather book holder and very proudly declared here’s your service history. I assumed that being the biggest car retailer in the U.K. they’d not lie!

Really? Is that because you think car sales people have a fantastic reputation for honesty? I'd have been checking the contents of the book as soon as I got home (or even before leaving the premises) and I'd have been back on the phone to the dealer if it didn't contain what they said it did. Lesson learned for the future hopefully.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Angus22 wrote: »
    They handed me the leather book holder and very proudly declared here’s your service history. I assumed that being the biggest car retailer in the U.K. they’d not lie!
    Not Arnold Shark by any chance ;)
  • Angus22 wrote: »
    Did you even open it?

Technically they might not be lying. They gave you the service history but it turns out it's never been serviced. As others have said, you need to back up your "categorically was told it had a FSH" statement with evidence.
  • Angus22 wrote: »
    So...it’s service time on my car, but it’s also time to sell said car as I need to use the finance payment on a house. Gets a quote to settle the finance. Gets a quote to sell back to the garage I bought it....

I take it and they as for the documents which have been say in my glove box, untouched since I bought it one year to the day......

No service record. Errrr but we bought it with a FSH......

“I’m sorry but our system says it has no service history so is only worth half the value we quoted you....”

So basically, where do I stand?. I categorically was told it had FSH, I was sold it at the market value with a service history. The finance company I’m assuming would assume this too as it’s a £20k car they’ve financed

Help!!!

Did they actually say only half the value?

The finance company couldn't care less if it has FSH
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you don't know when the last service was or at what mileage it was done at (which if you had never looked at its service history you couldn't have done) how did you know it was due a service?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure