PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How did you manage to buy your house?

Comments

• We were extremely lucky and raised a deposit for our first house largely using inheritance. I don't know how we would have done it otherwise.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There was just me, no BOMAD. In/out of jobs temping a lot... and finally got a small park home on a personal loan. Next I got onto a waiting list for a SO studio flatlet, miles out of town and bought that at 50%. 7 years later sold it back, at a loss as the market had fallen.

I moved 350 miles, to a cheaper area, got a job, lost that job, got another ... and finally managed to buy an actual house when I was about 40.

Was contracting by then, market for that work crashed, I was stuck out on a limb at the 4rse end of the country, no work, took "any job" and stayed in for 7 years just paying the mortgage. Flogged it ... and paid cash on what I'm now living in.

Don't give up ... stuff happens.... maybe.
  • I'm in a similar situation to OP. Early thirties and very limited savings. I also have a 3year old. I'm fortunate that my salary has increased in the last year but only really made the most of this in the last few months. I'm optimistic there's still a chance of getting on the property ladder but only through saving really hard and looking out for shared ownership or 5% deposit opportunities
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £3,250 (29/12/20)
    Current savings £4,950 (29/12/20)
  • Hi all

I'm in my 30's and still renting. My dream is to own a home but I don't have a deposit. I started saving years back but lost the money to a thieving ex and won't ever be able to recoup it (whole other story there that I don't want to go further into).
    I felt like I'd lost all hope of owning my home and due to recent issues with my landlord I've reached the point where I'm completely fed up of renting.

My job is quite low paid but I have been looking for better paid jobs which will hopefulyl happen soon.

Therefore my reason for this post is to see how others managed to get on the property ladder with little to no savings? Is it really possible?

I've seen all these schemes to help first time buyers but they seem too good to be true?

I have a partner but he isn't really that bothered about owning a home but I might be able to get him on board.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

My husband and I went had a similar conversation and decided that our three options were:

- slash our outgoings as much as possible. For us this meant moving into a room in a shared house that was walking distance from both our work/study places. The rent worked out to be about a quarter of the cost of renting a place of our own and also no commuting costs. We did that for two years and then the claustrophobia kicked in (no lounge or communal space meant we were always in the bedroom together!). Now we're three years into renting a three bed house and subletting the rooms (with permission of the landlord!) to people we know and get on well with. Depending on your circumstances, moving in rent-free with parents would work. We also LOVE travelling but haven't taken a single holiday in the last three years. Lastly, we have slashed our food costs by getting much better at meal planning and taking lunches to work every day (as opposed to our previous method of "maybe" taking some lunch in if we had some dinner left over, now lunches form part of our meal plan)
    - move somewhere where property is cheaper (salaries may be lower, but if house prices are MUCH lower then you'll be better-off overall). We did the opposite and moved somewhere more expensive (with me taking a paycut in the meantime) in the hope that my husband would be able to find a job there. Fortunately, our gamble paid off :) Do you need to stay where you are for any reason? Or could you look at moving somewhere else in the country?
    - boost our income. Change jobs to a better paid one, ask for a payrise, take on a second job. I opted for taking on a second job, my husband participated in a clinical trial and has also worked super hard at work to progress up the management chain to get the associated payrise.

You really do need to have your partner at least partly on board. My husband would still spend money left, right and centre if I let him, but is theoretically on board with the idea and although I have to do the meal planning, making lunches etc he is at least willing to not spend £5/day on lunches so long as I make him food to take with him!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Had savings, done it solo, low wage - affordable area helped.
  • Computer_Beginner
    Computer_Beginner Posts: 269 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2018 at 6:56PM
    Left school at 16.
    Joined the Royal Navy. Then worked on an oil rig offshore.
    Came back with a lump sum.
    Bought a mid terraced house, that was basically four walls and a roof. For cash. Didn't even bother asking for a mortgage.
    No bath. Outside toilet. No gas. Only bill was electricity. Paid neighbours to use the bath in their house.

Lived in it whilst working at a garage just across the road. (Boss was happy, because I was always watching his place at night, whenever I looked out the window).

The area was quite rough. A guy was stabbed just outside, football related fighting etc. But the neighbours were great, once you got to know them well.

Don't think I actually paid for any of the building materials I used. Just kept an eye out at scrap yards and skips etc.

No heating, just open fires. But there was loads of scrap wood around. I never remember being cold.

I was lucky because I had a good boss, who would let me take a van whenever etc. Good colleagues, mates who would help me. And a very good girlfriend, who wasn't ashamed to go out with a semi vagrant grease monkey.

I honestly don't think I would have done it, if girls back then were like the girlfriends my son has today. It would have meant being single for a long time.

After doing up the first house, sold it and bought a larger four bed. Moved in there with girlfriend. Got 3 lodgers. Actually missed the old place, but girlfriend wanted a garden and central heating. She was right though.

Never had any debt or mortgage. Probably wouldn't have been given any, even if I'd asked. But it never really entered my mind to try.

I don't think I even had a bank account for a few years. I was always paid in cash. Maybe the Post Office account?

I think years ago, debt collection was quite a rough trade. I certainly remember quite tough guys being afraid of debt collectors. I think the rules are much stricter now, regarding collection of debt.
    Selling off the UK's gold reserves at USD 276 per ounce was a really good idea, which I will not citicise in any way.
  • I bought a flat as it was big enough and what I could afford.

no regrets, I hate gardening.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    We never rented stayed at parents. Saved for 8 years and bought a house at 29. In that time with two below average full time incomes we saved over £100k.
  • SG27 wrote: »
    We never rented stayed at parents. Saved for 8 years and bought a house at 29. In that time with two below average full time incomes we saved over £100k.

I saved in cash. But if I was doing the same again today, I'd save up in cash, shares and gold.
    Selling off the UK's gold reserves at USD 276 per ounce was a really good idea, which I will not citicise in any way.
  • I was 40 when my wife and I met and I was penniless when we got together following a divorce.

We rented for a year and then got the 10% deposit together for a £136K house (don't ask how). Sold it 4 years later for £147K (giving £30K equity) and bought again for £135K. We've recently sold again for £152K (giving £56K equity) and we're currently buying a house for £163K after 8 years since we first got back on the property ladder so it's perfectly possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure