PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I took a ham salad seeded sandwich to work, with a whipped yogurt with seeds, 2 satsumas.

Last night I marinated 2 chicken breast with fajita spices, so tea today was fajita chicken strips with fried onion peppers and mushrooms, with mexican rice for me and dgson. I had another whipped yogurt.

It looks like I'm going to need some shopping soon, having an extra mouth to feed this week has depleted stores!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Evening all

last night wasn't a CFO night, I helped my friend deliver triplet lambs and then we had a chinese to celebrate :D

my veg box has arrived today and the contents were

Carrots
    Leeks
    Beetroot
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Spinach
    Courgettes
    Mushrooms
    Bananas
    Grapes
    Oranges
    Eggs
    Cream

my usual ideas would be beetroot and fruit used for lunches, mushrooms in omlettes, soup, lots of roast veg to eat with fish and maybe a curry, fruit in overnight oats or smoothies

but some different, exciting ideas would be welcome :D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Glad wrote: »
    Evening all

last night wasn't a CFO night, I helped my friend deliver triplet lambs and then we had a chinese to celebrate :D

my veg box has arrived today and the contents were

Carrots
    Leeks
    Beetroot
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Spinach
    Courgettes
    Mushrooms
    Bananas
    Grapes
    Oranges
    Eggs
    Cream

my usual ideas would be beetroot and fruit used for lunches, mushrooms in omlettes, soup, lots of roast veg to eat with fish and maybe a curry, fruit in overnight oats or smoothies

but some different, exciting ideas would be welcome :D
    Oh nice selection-
    I can recommend these as suggestions for someting you might not have tried they are all very tasty:)
    - cauliflower and leek mash https://www.thespruce.com/creamy-mashed-cauliflower-leeks-recipe-4129085 (though best cooked in chicken or veg stock if you have it.
    -carrot & leek soup https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/hearty-soups/carrot-and-leek-soup (replace the dripping with olive oil)
    -roasted carrot soup https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2837675/roast-carrot-soup-with-pancetta-croutons (it's fine without the croutons, replae with a swirl of cream or herbed yoghurt)
    - beetroot dauphinoise (though it needs some spuds ideally) http://www.lovebeetroot.co.uk/diana-henrys-beetroot-and-potato-gratin/
    or gratin (beetroot only) https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/beetroot-gratin
  • Darn that's just reminded me I've got spinach in the fridge I meant to do that with

- but spinach can be wilted down into a variety of sauces (eg the "bolognaise" type sauce I made today). It's not that noticeable once it's wilted down - but one still gets the goodness from it.

Beetroot - I'm not a fan of beetroot and therefore to me it just equals grated beetroot in salad.

Courgettes - these days that often tends to spell out courgetti in my book (ie using courgetti instead of spaghetti).

Cauliflower - roasted cauliflower, cauliflower rice, cream of cauliflower soup.

Grapes - if not sure immediately, then stick them in the freezer and eat them straight out of it. Little flavour "pops".
  • caronc
    Darn that's just reminded me I've got spinach in the fridge I meant to do that with

- but spinach can be wilted down into a variety of sauces (eg the "bolognaise" type sauce I made today). It's not that noticeable once it's wilted down - but one still gets the goodness from it.

Beetroot - I'm not a fan of beetroot and therefore to me it just equals grated beetroot in salad.

Courgettes - these days that often tends to spell out courgetti in my book (ie using courgetti instead of spaghetti).

Cauliflower - roasted cauliflower, cauliflower rice, cream of cauliflower soup.

Grapes - if not sure immediately, then stick them in the freezer and eat them straight out of it. Little flavour "pops".

MTSTM - spinach "blitzed" with some walnuts, yoghurt, mint, lemon juice and a little bit of chilli and garlic makes a great dip or topping for spuds or mix for pasta salad. It's one of my favourites:)
  • caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Sunny but very cold here this morning, though it looks as though we will be missing the snow this time. I hope any CFOers in the path of "the Beast from the East" are all hunkered down for the chill.
    I'm not sure what my food plans are for today now that my son isn't arriving until tomorrow. I get myself organised and then see if I want to defrost anything for later. Lunch will be a "roll and something" possibly scrambled egg or cheese & pickle.
    It's still far too cold to garden so will find some chores to do indoors. I'm tempted to start some chilli seeds on the window sill of the conservatory since the sun is due to shine for a few days.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Cold here, cars iced over.

No idea what I'll eat .... chips are easy, so they'll probably feature. I've also bread to get through, so maybe beans on toast. Nice and quick/warming.
  • Car de-iced.

Last nights was Chicken with green beans & new potatoes!
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 February 2018 at 11:49AM
    Good morning. Today I bought some fresh pasta (note to self - must start making my own), some budget pork loin chops and some chestnut mushrooms. I'll cook dinner on the solid fuel stove tonight - pasta with fried pork, peas, mushrooms in a peanut and chilli sauce (sort of). For a norty weekend treat, got some diet coke and Teachers whisky (it has to be Teachers on account of the malty flavour :beer:).
  • caronc
    Just ventured out to clean/re-plenish the bird feeders and pop the recycling out. Brrr it's baltic out there, I'm glad to be back indoors. At the moment the heating is off and the windows are opened but I think that will be getting reversed shortly:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback