Natwest are closing my account after 27 years......

Options

Comments

• whiteswan
    whiteswan Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies.....

The letter says they are withdrawing banking facilities from myself - it doesn't request any id - it says I have 60 days to find another bank.

I only record calls because of my strokes - it has affected my recollection of events.

What I wrote in the original post is a "transcript" of the call - so very accurate IMHO.

The paying in of cash and then transfer to my savings account is a regular occurrence and has been for the past few years - the NATWEST branch is 5 mins from my home and easy for carers/friends/relatives to post money into for me when they are passing etc - its the only bank in the vicinity.

I transfer some money to my savings account and leave the rest in to cover bills, direct debits etc.

I have applied online today for another current account with a different bank and had an almost immediate acceptance.

After a bit of googling it appears NATWEST have done this to a number of people without explanation or justification.

There seems little point in complaining as they can choose who they do business with - at least that's what all the previous stories on this subject say.

I don't want to "play the disability card" - as one poster has suggested - that should have nothing to do with it at all.

Move on and vote with my feet - and tell as many people as possible what has happened to myself.

Seems a sad state of affairs after 27 years - but with branches closing down all over the country - bad reports in the press of how NATWEST et al have behaved towards its customers then its probably for the best.

The one thing that has annoyed me is that even though the lady clearly says on the telephone that I will receive a call from complaints within 48 hours - I have had no contact at all - apart from the letter telling me to !!!!!! off !

Dave
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I still think there is more to this than a simple reaction to a percieved 'dodgy' transaction.

but it's not a dodgy transaction, it's the combination of two unusual transactions close together, on top of which is a customer who said they record their calls (again very unusual), and some glib answers when questioned.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, trying to illustrate how it looks from the Bank's POV, without all the back story of the OP which neither the bank nor we have (much) knowledge of.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • whiteswan
    whiteswan Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May 2017 at 10:13PM
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    but it's not a dodgy transaction, it's the combination of two unusual transactions close together, on top of which is a customer who said they record their calls (again very unusual), and some glib answers when questioned.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, trying to illustrate how it looks from the Bank's POV, without all the back story of the OP which neither the bank nor we have (much) knowledge of.

Recording of phone calls for people with a disability (short term memory problems) is NOT unusual and is recommended by Mental Health Professionals when dealing with companies/financial institutions.

The transactions were not unusual - and have been replicated over a number of years. (with my other savings account)

How do you know my answers were "glib" ? Apart from placing the sound file on here I don't know how to prove that I remained calm and never raised my voice or swore at any point.

I even stated that I have no problem completeing security - after all its my money they are protecting - but when you have to do it 3,4 or 5 times surely its getting a bit much - it was the same characters from passphrase I was asked for each time - not different questions - ie mothers maiden / fave footy team / name of first pet etc - that I could maybe understand.

Dave
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Whiteswan,

I would complain to NatWest if for no other reason than to bring your case to their attention.

Of course there is also the possibility of a little compensation (you know the good old "good will gesture" !!!!!!!!) that could be worth the time to write a letter (pretty much just copy your opening message).

I mean honestly, what's the worst that could happen? They close your bank account because of your letter??? :)

Regards

Mailman
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    whiteswan wrote: »
    Thank you for all the replies.....

The letter says they are withdrawing banking facilities from myself - it doesn't request any id - it says I have 60 days to find another bank.

I only record calls because of my strokes - it has affected my recollection of events.

What I wrote in the original post is a "transcript" of the call - so very accurate IMHO.

The paying in of cash and then transfer to my savings account is a regular occurrence and has been for the past few years - the NATWEST branch is 5 mins from my home and easy for carers/friends/relatives to post money into for me when they are passing etc - its the only bank in the vicinity.

I transfer some money to my savings account and leave the rest in to cover bills, direct debits etc.

I have applied online today for another current account with a different bank and had an almost immediate acceptance.

After a bit of googling it appears NATWEST have done this to a number of people without explanation or justification.

There seems little point in complaining as they can choose who they do business with - at least that's what all the previous stories on this subject say.

I don't want to "play the disability card" - as one poster has suggested - that should have nothing to do with it at all.

Move on and vote with my feet - and tell as many people as possible what has happened to myself.

Seems a sad state of affairs after 27 years - but with branches closing down all over the country - bad reports in the press of how NATWEST et al have behaved towards its customers then its probably for the best.

The one thing that has annoyed me is that even though the lady clearly says on the telephone that I will receive a call from complaints within 48 hours - I have had no contact at all - apart from the letter telling me to !!!!!! off !

Dave

They did it to me... presumably for opening 10 accounts online across RBS group (Ulster, Natwest, RBS) in relatively quick succession which were all subsequently switched out to Yorkshire Bank for £150 a time. So they were all going to be closed anyway but now I'm banned from banking with RBS group as well!
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    Try Nationwide...seem to be very helpfull and great customer service.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    whiteswan wrote: »
    Recording of phone calls for people with a disability (short term memory problems) is NOT unusual and is recommended by Mental Health Professionals when dealing with companies/financial institutions.
    You may have misunderstood mgdavid's point which was that from the perspective of a bank's customer service agent it's likely to be unusual to be told by a customer that the call is being recorded.

The fact that a small minority of the population may be advised to do this (for perfectly valid and sensible reasons) doesn't necessarily make it a commonplace occurrence for the recipient of the call....
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 May 2017 at 1:56AM
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »

I don't think there is much dispute about how it looks from the bank's perspective - the issue is how they dealt with the OP subsequently.

The OP says it was referred to the fraud department, so it is possible that further investigation was carried out and it appears from the conversation with the 'gentleman' that the OP was 'cleared' any suspicion and the transaction was carried out.

If that wasn't exactly what happened behind the scenes then rather than summary removal the bank ought to have investigated further and asked the OP to explain the circumstances of the situation. You'd really hope that if money laundering was suspected there would be some form of further investigation, rather than just asking the suspected customer to move on to a different bank.

Any suspicions should have been dealt with appropriately - for example you wouldn't necessarily expect all CS staff to know that some people will record phone calls on medical advice - but that shouldn't cause suspicion leading to automatic account closure. The bank should have proceedures in place to deal with that kind of thing. Good customer service and simple questions would have allayed any concerns. E.g. -
    OP: Do you mind if I record this call?
    CS: Could I ask why you'd like to record the call?
    OP: I've been given medical advice to do so after suffering a stroke.
    CS: OK, no problem.
    Not exactly rocket science is it?

Personally I'd never advise anyone to 'play the disability card'. But people should stand up for their rights. What if the OP, or the next person in that kind of situation, lives in a town where that bank is the only one?

Unless people complain and point out where bank's systems have failed they will just carry on failing.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 9 May 2017 at 4:07AM
    Options
    Whatever alarmist stories may be published by the media, I don't think that banks are going around closing long standing main current accounts on a whim. There must be some motive for a particular action. Suspicion of fraud or money laundering. Dormancy. Account misconduct/default. Etc.
    The decision to close the OP's account may be nothing to do with the abovementioned events. For all we know, the OP may have been going constantly into unauthorised overdrafts or other such undesirable activity.
    Although the OP states that similar activity regularly occurs on the account, that is not in fact the case. On this occasion there were two important differences. Firstly, the money was being transferred to a NEW savings account with another bank. Secondly, on this occasion because the 'battery in the card reader had expired' the OP had to both set up a new payee by phone then make the transfer by phone.
    The OP has never stated how much money was in the envelope that the friend deposited. A good question at this point would be to ask the ORIGIN of this money. The OP states 'The paying in of cash and then transfer to my savings account is a regular occurrence and has been for the past few years' but where does this cash come from? This is the OP's main current account which receives their income 'wage goes in / dd's come out ', so where does this cash come from? If as a disabled person you find it difficult to do your own banking, then I am surprised that over the course of many years you have not found a better way of conducting your financial affairs than paying in cash from unknown sources and transferring the cash to other accounts.
    I can well imagine that starting a conversation with 'I am recording this call' is probably not going to go down to well with the person at the bank. They are going to instantly assume that the call is a complaint and are at that point probably wishing that they had never answered the call.
    You would normally only have needed to use the card reader to set up a new payee. So what you actually wanted to do in this call was not to make your usual transfer at all but instead to set up a new payee, an account with another bank, presumably in your name??? and transfer a (large?) sum of money to that account. A sum of money which had just been deposited in a branch in an envelope. She was probably wondering, as I am, why you bothered. Why didn't you arrange to pay this cash directly into the new account with the other bank? Oh yes. The other bank has no branch in your town. So just why did you open this new account with that bank anyway? Why, after all these years, did you change the destination account of this cash from unknown sources that your are saving regularly?
    This really does look suspicious you know. The cash being paid into the account which already receives your wages in envelopes. Transferred out immediately to other accounts. It is actually difficult to quite understand why you choose to conduct your financial affairs in this way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure