Vaillant Ecotec boiler losing pressure intermittently

Comments

• BillG100
    BillG100 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Cisteria wrote: »

Am I correct in understanding that in the end it was the leak sealant that solved the problem?
    Not in my case. No leak sealant was used. See my summary immediately above your post.
  • mossy007
    mossy007 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Cisteria I used the leak sealer and believe or not it held for 2 months or so now so I am back to square one now losing pressure rapidly. I have heating engineer with thermal camera in on Thurs to check for leaks underfloor heating pipework. Will see what happens
  • BillG100 wrote: »
    On a valve o-ring.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem and the heat engineers are not able to find the cause. I am really going crazy. I loose about 0.1 bar over night. In my case there is no sign of a leak and I have gone around with a tissue to check valves. Was there any obvious sign of water where the o ring was damaged?
    Your help is appreciated,thank you.
  • BillG100
    BillG100 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Hi, I have exactly the same problem and the heat engineers are not able to find the cause. I am really going crazy. I loose about 0.1 bar over night. In my case there is no sign of a leak and I have gone around with a tissue to check valves. Was there any obvious sign of water where the o ring was damaged?
    Your help is appreciated,thank you.

There was no obvious sign of water where the o-ring was leaking.

It sounds to me like you've reached the stage where they should send in the leak detection plumbers. One approach involves pumping an inert gas into the central heating system and then using a sniffer to detect where / if it is escaping.
  • Thank you BillG100! I have an identical (nearly) issue that's been driving me crazy. Ecotec 637 about 5 years old and since new has played up with this elusive pressure-drop issue. Still no nearer a solution. :(
  • I have a similar problem with a slow pressure drop with a new Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28.

Daft question but how did you find the leaks and where were they? Before I had this new boiler fitted we thought there was an underfloor pipe leak as two radiators required constant bleeding. All radiators work fine now except one upstairs which is a bit slow but we don't get any air in them at all now.

Any help much appreciated as I must have topped up the pressure about 6-10 times in the last 3 months. The plumber says it's not the boiler but that was some time ago.

:T If a job needs doing, do it :T
  • I am also a little concerned about the use of leak sealer. Plumbers must have put about 3 lots in during the last 6 months but so far as I know Vaillant do not prohibit this. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know thanks.
    :T If a job needs doing, do it :T
  • Henry-Root wrote: »
    I have a similar problem with a slow pressure drop with a new Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28.

Daft question but how did you find the leaks and where were they? Before I had this new boiler fitted we thought there was an underfloor pipe leak as two radiators required constant bleeding. All radiators work fine now except one upstairs which is a bit slow but we don't get any air in them at all now.

Any help much appreciated as I must have topped up the pressure about 6-10 times in the last 3 months. The plumber says it's not the boiler but that was some time ago.

In our case it was a combination:

1) Visually checking as much of the piping / valves as possible

2) Thermal imaging camera

3) Leak detection plumber sent round by British Gas

Point 2 was essential because it confirmed the underfloor heating wasn't leaking.
  • Hi Guys. Really useful reading this thread. I have an valiiant ecotec boiler with a megaflow cylinder. I have UFH across the ground floor and radiators on top two floors. House fully refurbished so all new pipes. Was working fine for 6 months. Now last few months water pressure keeps going down. Initially every few weeks and now every 5 days. Cannot see a leak anywhere. I have asked my plumber to come this Friday - but any advise on what I should say to him in terms of checking?
  • R9ssmab
    R9ssmab Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi did you get resolved- appreciate old post but I’m having the same issue
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family